In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Loads for .45/70Gov't, in new Marlin 1895CB

I was just wondering if any of you had some rather interesting loads for a Marlin leveraction 1895 Cowboy (modern/new gun!!)

I just bought a Marlin 1895 Cowboy (or CB I believe it was called) in cal .45/70Gov't, with 26" octagonal barrel, 9 shot capacity magazine and one in the pipe.

I ordered 200 Remington cartridges for it to start up on - it's the standard load with 300 Grain projectile.

When they're used up, I plan to order a bunch more just like them to keep the empty cases/brass the same - and have them reloaded.

I know the 300grain standard Remington would fit nicely with seals of any size and also reindeer/caribou. (No... I won't shoot Rudolph!!).

So I was looking to maybe have two-three loads worked up for the above mentioned gun - and no, it will NOT be used in ANYTHING else.

(I have a Pedersoli Trapdoor in mind - but that will ONLY get to eat up suitable cowboyloads!!!)

As I have the factory huntingloads in the Remington 300grainers... I wanted to have some cartridges made just for fun.

First thing I had in mind, was some 4-500 grain load - kind of a standard to strong load. Noticeably stronger than factory loads - but no need for "The ultimate"-load.

Second thing - I was thinking of a 300-350 grain load which would be a real bellringer.
Something that will really make people think twice about trying more than a few shots - and something that would be simply DEVASTATING on anything it would hit.

Third - some weak pleasurable cowboy-load.. as some of my friends might be recoilshy.. maybe in the 300 grain range of bullets.
I have a few girlfriends who might like to try the rifle, and it should be pleasureable for them too.

So if any of you had a load that YOU personally like - and that would fit one of the load-criterias, I would be happy to hear from you.

I'm not looking for reload tables - but rather personal experience.
I also just want to get a good idea of what I might be sticking my head into here.

I would appreciate specific loadinfo like :
Primertype, preferred case-type for load, powdertype/-weight and bullet type/-weight.

Offcourse noone would ever be held accountable or liable - as I would run it by a company in Denmark that will assist me in the reloading (Here in Greenland, I need a certificate to reload - and that's only offered in Denmark... so reloading myself won't be an option for now! and the company currently only load standard loads.)

I HAVE looked at other sites and found reload-data from all over - but was hoping there would be "fun" loads out there amongst you guys.

Loads that YOU like. =o)

I would offcourse gather the data and try to put it on a part of my homepage with a little story of each load - how it feels and so on.

Maybe if I get me a cronograph, I would test and record it for speed and accuracy in the Marlin 1895 CB.

Comments

• Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    Peter I will give you a fairly warm 300 gr load that I use in my 1895 Marlin. 300 gr Sierra bullet, Federal LR Primer, 58gr of IMR 3031. It should be at about 2000fps.
  • Options
    HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    That sounds good and it sounds interesting with the Speer bullet.
    I like the product range of bullets.

I grew fond of the TNT-HP in .30 cal =o)

It's noted =o)