In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

243 win/ h4831sc/ 100gr bullet

rp85rp85 Member Posts: 360 ✭✭✭
hello;

anyone reloading for the .243 win using h4831sc and 100gr. bullet? if so, what is the powder charge and bullet make. thanks for any input

rp

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rp85,

Every rifle is an individual so you need to work up loads from the beginning.

The Hodgdon Reloading manual is a great place to start. Barring that, Hodgdon has a website with a large reloading database including H-4831sc and 100 gr. bullets.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Input the information you want from the pull down menus and have at it!

Best.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rp85,

We used to have considerable luck with 4831 behind 100 gr. and 85 gr. bullets for jackrabbits. We worked up to 41 gr. of 4831 for 100 gr. and 44 gr. for 85 gr. bullets. For jacks in the summer(100+ deg.) those are about as hot as wanted to go. But those were the days before temp sensitive powders really hit the market. It also allowed a little bit of a cooler barrel when shooting nearly a hundred shots a night.
    The bullets we used were Hornady Speer and Sierra. Whichever cost ten cents less than the other when we went to the sporting goods store. Nosler only had the partitions out at the time they were way too spendy for us kids on farm budgets. -good luck

EDIT:

I forgot to say that now there are temp sensitive powders available I really like the Hodgdon Extreme. Work up from minimums and you will be okay. Also, you may want to look at a faster powder depending on barrel length. For some of the 18-20" barrels you may want to move up in burn speed to 4350 or even 4895. This so you don't go sending unburned powder out the barrel. Again, follow the guide starting at the minimums.
  • Options
    mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    H414 and a 95gr Nosler bullistic tip work best for me