In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Building a rifle, need suggestions.

seymoreseymore Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
Hey folks, new to the forum, but I wanted to get some suggestions for a rifle I'd like to build. The cartridge will be a .223. I am thinking of a McMillan A4 stock, and a Model 700 action, heavy barrel, and I'd like to put a rail on top of it so I could detach the scope quickly and easily. Any suggestions on good barrels that won't break the bank, are compatible with the McMillan stock and a 700 action? What about the 700 action? Where would I come across a good one with a good trigger for a reasonable price? Any guesstimates on what this rifle is gonna come in at cost wise? The stock itself is about $468, I believe.

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Go to Brownell's Catalog for your parts[:D]
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    The 700 action is as good as any factory action will be, and they are easy to work on and tons of aftermarket parts are available. If your looking for a inexpensive barrel check out ER Shaw or Adams and Bennet (they are both the same)....
    But don't forget it cost as much to put on a cheap barrel that may or may not shoot as good as you would like it to, as it will a good barrel like Pac-Nor, Hart, Lilja, Spencer, Bartlein, Krieger, Shilen, and so on in no particular order....
    Your project could run as high as $4000.00 complete with scope, if you use top notch components, or figure around $1000.00 at the least.
    You will have half of that in the stock itself, and the other half in a decent fitted barrel, and you still need a scope......
    Find a good deal on a used 700 and sell the parts you don't need will be the best way to go, or figure on spending over a $1000.00 on a custom action.........
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    seymore,

Welcome to the GB forums!

The first thing I suggest is to decide what you want to use this rifle for. If it's just to look like a tactical rifle but use it for plinking then several decisions can be made which will result in a lower cost rifle. If it's for competition or long range varmints then I would re-assess your budget and make room for better parts and concentrate on a good barrel and a great gunsmith. Those are sort of the two extremes without getting carried away.

Personally, I don't wait 18 to 20 weeks for a McMillan stock anymore. There are other makers out there that make stocks as good without all the wait. The exception is if a shop such as Bruno's has one in stock for immediate delivery. The downside to this is that the 'tactical' stocks don't stay in stock long at all, they sell out first thing. But if you have your heart set on a McMillan, call in your order and get ready to hurry up and wait for a long time.

Buying an inexpensive barrel after going to the effort of attempting to assemble of good rifle is counter-productive. The reality is that it's stupid and a waste of money. You should buy the best barrel you can afford, made by one of the best barrel makers. Fortunately, there are a dozen great barrel makers in the market these days. Some of them even have a limited selection of common barrels on hand occasionally. A quick call to their shops will get that answer. Any barrel contour up and including a #7 will fit in the A-4 stock. Actually, a straight taper 1.350" barrel will fit comfortably in the A-4.

http://sst.benchrest.com/#barrels

The Remington M700 action is terrific for a starter action when you want to learn from scratch. There are tons of accessories available, they are easy to blueprint and they're commonplace in most competitions. The trigger is easily adjusted and can be tuned for competition but you can also replace it with one of several competition triggers if you want to.

If you want the best, there are about a 1/2 dozen custom actions available in the same conformation as the M700 so all the stocks and accessories fit. They most assuredly don't cost $1,000.00 any more.

If you want to skip all of this planning, simply buy a Savage target rifle and go shoot. Their new single shot is pretty good and will be significantly less money.

http://www.savagearms.com/images/pdf/catalogs/SavageCatalog2007.pdf (page 11)

Here is another place where you shouldn't skimp. A top-of-the-line scope is pretty imperative for anything other than plinking and can cost nearly as much a good rifle.

The final cost could be all over the board so you need to pick the components and add the prices up. Then go look at the Savage Precision Target rifles which will more than likely fit your budget better.

Best.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, as usual my esteemed collegues have cover the bases[:D]

never skimp on a rifle build,..you'll only be sorry later. Buy the best, and cry once[;)]

rem700 donor actions can be purchased on the auctions, then resell the barrel and stock and maybe trigger. Send that action off to a top notch gunsmith along with your stock and barrel blank.

Don't buy cheap barrels, they are cheaper for a very important reason. Don't buy a cheap scope, or you'll be chasing bullet holes all over the target.

cheap end will be $1500 if you find a deal on some components. It goes up from there to around $4500-$5000 topped with quality glass.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Douglas barrels are very good, at a good price. We have used quite a few of them. When you order a barrel get one for the twist rate for the bullet you are going to use.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    seymore,

The only way you can legitimately skimp on a rifle build is doing the things you can do and not have to pay a gunsmith do for you. A cheap barrel is one that does not go through the quality control through it's manufacture that a better name brand does. Granted the processes today are better than ever, but, key points always have to be checked.
    That said a 700 is the most common action to build a custom on. I will second what nn said in that a Savage is an excellent choice as well. A CZ 527 is another action you may wish to go with.

However, if you are going to go with a .223 I will say you will get a lot more for your money by buying any of the brand name rifles previously mentioned. Spend the difference on the best glass you can lay your hands on. By the time you shoot one barrel out you will have a lot clearer picture of what you want in a custom rifle and why.