In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

FLECHETTES

375H&H375H&H Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
Did anyone ever try loading these for a 12 ga
and are they leagal to load in shotgun hulls ?
I thought I seen them somewhere , maybe a gunshow , where you got 3 in a pack , 12ga shells . If I remember correctly they were on the pricie side , I think they had other specialty rounds like bean bag ammo , lead balls with wire attached to them , flame thrower or dragons breath ammo .
these are the flechettes I'm talking about.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=76364625
Seems to me they could damage your shotgun barrel.
Just wondering [B)]

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, they are in a thick cup wad and should not contact the bore, no risk to the gun.
    Unfortunately, they don't do much damage to the target, either. A silly gimmick. Shoot buckshot.
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    Yes they can be loaded in a std 12 ga wad, trick is to use a very quick burn powder, otherwise you just get a "pop".

They are made to stick in the flesh (hence the name) and "infect" the wound, that's why the energy is disipated so fast. I used to build up 2.75" rockets with these and have no idea why anyone would want them in a 12 ga., we just did it for fun, no good purpose. They're not really designed to "rip" apart flesh, although they would do so at close range(so would nails).

If you load these be very careful that you clean any slight skin ruptures, because they will become infected.

They look and sound "cool", but that's about all in a 12 ga.

Best of Luck
  • Options
    Bill JordanBill Jordan Member Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey geeguy; I used to work for a company that made the 60 grain flechettes for BEI Defense for the Hydra 70 rocket system. Is that where you worked?

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than to have a frontal lobotomy"
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    Bill:

No I'm much older then the Hydro 70 series. I go back to the (if I remember correctly)LAU-32 with the WDU-4A. I believe the flechetts were about 28 gr- 60 gr at that time. A more accurate account is that we "took apart" the 2.75" rockets in EOD and "played" with the parts during my time in the USAF. It was always amazing (and most of the time dangerous) what we could make out of parts and try out on the range. I'm quite sure I'm smarter now (although my wife would debate that issue)and tend to use standard parts and powder in my firearms.

Thaks for the inquiry, even if we borrowed this thread.
  • Options
    Da-TankDa-Tank Member Posts: 4,074
    edited November -1
    Yes I've loaded 12ga. with them. 12 up and 12 down. Upon leaving the barrel the 12 face down will flip around, causing all of them to scatter. 15 ft. to leave the shot cup and about 10 more ft. to scatter. Any way after testing them on sheets to assess the pattern (covering a queen size sheet) all but a few would be on target.
    Asked Judge about the legal end of these rounds. " If your looking for life go ahead" He indicatred if you did shot someone with them it was premedatated Because you made your own that could be used for no other reason then to kill or maine someone.
    Still have 25 for when the SHTF. (Riot control at home)