In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

brass/ammo question - LC 7.62 match

Local shop that I help wtih computer stuff has some '60s vintage Lake City match 7.62 nato on the shelf. Got "paid" for some work with a few boxes of it, since I have a FAL.

Took half a box out and shot it the other day - more recoil! - but I noticed that on the brass just above the rim there is a series of hash marks around the case, perpendicular to the base of the case. Never seen this before on any brass - commercial, old surplus, newer surplus, various countries, etc.

So, what is the purpose of the marks? Off hand, I'm thinking 2 things - 1) weakens the brass (unless it is thicker than normal in that area) and 2) maybe helps with extraction?

Comments

• Options
    788-308788-308 Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have been told that the hash marks are for easy visual identification of Match ammunition.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Do you mean flute marks, like they were shot in a H-K?
    Did you see them before you shot them?
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Not from a fluted chamber... the hash marks are there when I break the seal on a box and open it up :)

I'm also leaning towards 788-308's reply of using it for ID... although I still think it would weaken the case... unless it was thicker in that area. Which would then maybe raise pressures, etc. if used for reloading based on nominal 7.62NATO case capacities...
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is an ID for match ammo/cases. If I were you, I'd "negotiate" for all they have. Even the cases are hot items.
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    Good ammo, great brass.

The canalure in the case identifies it as being not for combat use. The primers aren't crimped, and it uses a heavier bullet than regular M80 ball.
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 richbug. But also.

This was/is M852 National Match brass. It was originally loaded with 168g Sierra MatchKing bullets. It's boxes are labeled "NOT FOR COMBAT USE" and had a rolled in cannelure to reinforce the point. This cannnelure is right where the case usually stretches and the cannelure may weaken the case at that point. There have been stories of case head seperation after the first loading but if so probably few and far between. I have loaded some without issues. This cannelure was dropped on later lots of M852 and was not used on later M118.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I sadly can't afford any more of it... but I've got a few boxes left in my own stash... shop has 10-15 boxes left, he's been selling it for $20/box. This something I should get him to list on the auction side?

Thanks again for the informative replies...
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I'd gladly pay $20 a box for it. Where's the shop at?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    dcs shooters - check your email (sent via the link in your profile from me at gmail dot com)
  • Options
    Da-TankDa-Tank Member Posts: 4,074
    edited November -1
    Bluntly put the brass on a nato round IS thicker.