In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

30-06 Accelerator

Why is this stuff so hard to find. Maybe its just in my area but I can never find it at any local gun shops..

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    204targetman,

I thought that Remington had discontinued these products but they are still listed on the official website. Performance is less than spectacular unless you load your own and slow the velocity down.

Factory:

http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/centerfire/core-Lokt.asp

http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/220009

http://www.ammobank.com/cgi-bin/cshop/store/result.tam?query.ctx=REM ACCEL

Load your own:

http://www.eabco.com/reload02.html

Best.
  • Options
    204targetman204targetman Member Posts: 3,493
    edited November -1
    I did'nt think you could reload these. Dont think you can get the sabots. I've always had good results at shorter yardage (200 yards or less) on groundhogs and plinking. I've never tried to shoot a group. I'm down to my last box and hate to waste them.... I believe they did dis-continue the 308.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My bad. I just clicked on your link to see you can get sabots. I really need to get that reloader....
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I bought some 30cal. sabots on ebay a while back. Just checked, there are still some on there now, with loading data.
  • Options
    helimanheliman Member Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a couple of boxes of .308 Accelerator at the local show for $10 a box. A super deal. Think I will hold on to them for awhile. Also have almost a full box of 30.06 that I am hoarding away.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    think the .308 was dropped- 30-06 and 30-30 still in the lineup. You can reload, but you cannot reload a TRUE Accelerator- different primer, different powder, much harder bulet. See writeup in Cartridges of the World. 30-06 claimed a muzzle velocity around 4500 fps. Round is accurate as the parent caliber/ rifle is accurate. Suddden death (pink mist variety) on prarie dogs and groundhogs.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    11b6r,

"Round is accurate as the parent caliber/ rifle is accurate. Suddden death (pink mist variety) on prarie dogs and groundhogs."

I assume this observation is from your personal experience. If so then I congratulate you and hope you continue to hold onto that rifle.

In response to some complaints from fellow shooters, three of us tested 7 rifles, all custom and very accurate, with the factory 30-06 Accelerator ammunition. None of these held a 3 inch, 5-shot group. The testing was from our standard concrete benchrest from which we test all of our rifles including our long range target rifles. The rifles tested were more than capable of 1/2" groups consistently so there was no question as far as we were concerned about the lack of accuracy when using those cartridges.

The sabot does not necessarily translate into the same accuracy that the original rifle has with standard ammunition. It can't. The sabot contact interface is not the same as the interface with the rifling and the primary jacket of a bullet. The lubricity and hardness are completely different so the coefficient of friction is different. Then you have to contend with the attempt to align yet another component with the cartridge case. The potential for misalignment exists not only with the bullet placed in the sabot but with the sabot and the case mouth as well. Even tiny errors lead to inaccuracies as we all have seen.

One of the guys reloaded some of the sabot cartridges and worked up some loads that were slower and significantly more accurate, as I stated above. I also had the opportunity to watch some black powder target shooters use modern bullets in sabots to win several bench matches a few years ago.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I can confirm the devastation on the groundhog. I shot three with accelerators all in the 100 to 125 yard distance with my 760 gamemaster. More damage than I had seen with other cartridges to put it mildly.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    And of course the other thing I like about these cartridges is the lessened recoil that goes with the lighter bullet. My 760 really has a kick to it with standard ammo...
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We just got a few boxes of this stuff in, along with some 30-30 accelerator rounds. It may just becoming more common.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just found out that Remington only makes a limited run of this stuff. It gets hoarded up pretty fast.