In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bushnell Scope

wynn24wynn24 Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
What is the maximum range for a bushnell banner scope. 6-24x40
I am shooting a .308 26 inch barrel. 175 gain matchking at 2,565 ftps. I cant find the total adjustment for this scope. Thanks Ryan

Comments

• Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would like to help you if I can, but I am sorry I do not understand your question.[?]
  • Options
    wynn24wynn24 Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I appologize. I am wondering about the adjustments for elevation. What are the maximum limits on the scope I mentioned. Does it have enough adjustment to make my .308 a 800 yard or further gun?
  • Options
    PJPJ Member Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on the height of the rings and mounts.
    Pete
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What's the game? Target? Hunting? Short of actually checking things out on an 800 yard range I would think it should be an easy matter to sight it in at 100 yards, consult long range drop tables and then see if you have enough clicks left to make the necessary adjustments out at 800. Good luck.
    p.s. If it's for long range target, I suspect that even if the adjustments are there folks will advise you of better glass for the game. If for hunting, well,
    800 yards? woodchuck or moose I wouldn't attempt it, but that's just me.
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My old Sierra book ,which dosent list that bullet but does have tables out to 1000 yds lists a 165 gr pill at 2500 fps as dropping 57 inches at 600 yds WITH a 400 yd zero. That requires you to sight in 9.5 " high at 100 yds. In round #s the bullet path would be +10, +15, +12, 0, -22, -57. The drop at 1000 yds is -387". Sooo... In order to hit accuratly at 800 yds would require an 800 yd zero or a mil-dot scope or at least a 500 yd zero and a mil-dot scope. A faster bullet (3000 fps range) would reduce the drop dramatically and be a more doable task with the rig you describe.I believe you have enough adjustment in the scope to accomplish what you want to do, but without tables I could only guess that you would have to be AT LEAST 20 inches high at 100 yds. This is truly a WAG and I have nothing to back it up.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wynn,

"I cant find the total adjustment for this scope."

This informations is located on their website and is listed as 36" of total adjustment or 18" up and 18" down, if their mechanism is correct and accurate. By using a 300 yard zero, based on your calculations for velocity, the maximum yardage should be 700 yards (16.81 MOA). But bear in mind that this is at the very bottom end of the scope's range which is not conducive to accuracy and sharpness. You will need 22.45 MOA to get to 800 yards at your velocity and BC.

http://www.bushnell.com/general/riflescopes_banner_71-6244.cfm

The simple method of correction these days is to use the Burris Signature rings which use nylon inserts to help correct for the various distances by providing an increase in the MOA without resorting to the more expensive bases or rails with built in MOA corrections. The inserts help to keep you in the middle of the scopes range where the best sharpness is and allows for corrections. You also need a ballistics program or some charts at least.

If this doesn't make sense, let us know and we can review some of the basic concepts of exterior ballistics and the principles of optics.

Here is a freeware ballistics program:

http://www.huntingnut.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=3

Best.
  • Options
    rg666rg666 Member Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One thing that wasnt metioned was a process called point blank range sighting. The below figures where taken from Sierra's website as an example. Heres is the link that describes the process & value. Sierra explains it far better than i can but i use it for hunting & its never failed me in over 35 years of gun setup.

http://www.exteriorballistics.com/ebexplained/5th/35.cfm

muz vel max PBR zero PBR
    308 Win. 165 gr SBT GameKing 2650 319 271