In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

My first reloader?????

I've been shooting for years and have always thought of getting a reloader but never have. Now I'm definitely going to get one. I will only be interested in loading for my 204 to start with. I've looked at some of the kits such as the Hornady. It seems to come with everything.....but i'm not sure.. Any help would be appreciated. The 204 ammo I shoot runs about 17.50 a box. Can I really save that much by loading my own??

Comments

• Options
    SCorversSCorvers Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't know about the Hornady, but the RCBS kit is good.
    You will save mucho denero if you shoot often. Figure about .60 around the first time and less after that (the brass can be reused upwards of 15 times).
    Keep in mind that ammo manf. are gonna raise prices about 15% in the next few months, so hurry and stockpile bullets, brass, powder, and primers.
    Get the Lyman 48th edition reloading manual BEFORE you buy anything else. Cost about $24 new.

Welcome to the sickness.........[}:)]
  • Options
    Mort4570Mort4570 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    relaoding takes time,especially relaoding extra accurate ammo.For my plinking style of shooting I can cut corners and still ring steel.
    I cannot however punch a grapefruit at 75 yds very often.:)
    I"m talking sixguns and lead boolits here.

It is a fun hobby for most of us,and the money you think you'll be saving just goew for more bullets/powder/primers so you can shoot more.>grin<
  • Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    204 is a good cal to start with plan and simple easy to reload for.

If you talking Single stage kits I bought RCBS kit $250 some yrs ago, if i had to do it again I'd buy a Lee reloader Kit. 75-100 bucks and you have more stuff than you'll know what to do with.

Progressive reloader are a diffent story, buy the best one you can't afford.
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    May I suggest a little different angle then most. A single stage is a great start, and a Dillon 550 is a little to much to start accurate rifle with (some may disagree). I have several types and still find one of the best investments was a Lyman turrent press. This allows you to set up your dies and leave them, yet only use one die at a time. I do not recommend this for large caliber rifle since the draw back is the strength between the piston and the die (flex).

If you go with a single stage, there are many good sets. Lee is a good starter with everything, but not heavy duty, RCBS great long lasting (had mine since 1964)but a little more money, and several inbetween.

If you really want to crank out the rounds the best is a Dillon 550, it's easy but may be intimidating for a new loader.

With ammo going up in cost, reloading is the way to go. Just assure you follow the recipe and check your loads carefully (you don't want a bullet stuck half way down your barrel, but I'm sure every reloaded has had this happen).

Best of Luck
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 204targetman
    I've been shooting for years and have always thought of getting a reloader but never have. Now I'm definitely going to get one. I will only be interested in loading for my 204 to start with. I've looked at some of the kits such as the Hornady. It seems to come with everything.....but i'm not sure.. Any help would be appreciated. The 204 ammo I shoot runs about 17.50 a box. Can I really save that much by loading my own??

Hornaday/ Lee/ and RCBS make good stuff the kits are very well thought out! Once you get hooked on reloading the cost savings really start to show up. There is not much one ca do on a rainy day so loading ammo is a fantastic hobby. That 17.50 a box will be cut in half by reloading. The rifle will respond to your carefully assembled hand loads by shooting better.

Also; do a search on the reloading topic in this forum. It will have a ton of useful information. Getting a reloading manual and READING IT FIRST is the best way to start. Do NOT purchase a progressive press for your first press. It is not the best way to learn and assemble high grade rifle ammo.
  • Options
    ChetStaffordChetStafford Member Posts: 2,794
    edited November -1
    I would highly suggest an RCBS rockchucker or The LEE classic cast press stay away from the lee challenger very light duty

I have 2 rockchuckers and they are awesome presses I load some very accurate and very consistent ammunition on them [;)]

But in the end your budget and how serious you want to get about reloading will dictate what press you will buy. But buy the highest quality that your budget or your wife will allow [^]
  • Options
    204targetman204targetman Member Posts: 3,493
    edited November -1
    Wow, thanks for all the help guys.
  • Options
    GUNFUNCOGUNFUNCO Member Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out my comments from this older post.

I like RCBS as well. Lyman, Redding and RCBS all all very good companies and back up their stuff very well, but with RCBS, if you break small parts-you usually just call them and they send you the part and you don't even have to mail the old part back to them. Lee is OK but they usually only warranty their stuff for a year and after that-they want you to send one half of the current retail price (and almost nobody pays retail on reloading equipment) and they will send you a current, replacement item. If and when you decide to go progressive-go with Dillon-they are just like RCBS.

Another thing with RCBS-I once bought some Lee (regular) dies to use to make some 7.65 Argentine Mauser Ammo-My plan was to form the brass from some 30-06 brass I had. I bought the Lee dies as they were less expensive but would not form and size the brass enough to chamber and when I called Lee-they told me that I would need case forming dies at extra cost. I called RCBS and they told me that I could use their regular reloading dies to form the brass so I sent the Lee dies back and bought the RCBS. RCBS was right. They worked perfectly! RCBS has been my company of choice for non-progressive reloading equipment ever since. And guess what-those dies were paid for after reloading only 2 boxes of ammo.

I would like to make several suggestions-

1) Get a good reloading manual (like RCBS) and look thru it to see what you're in for.

2)Check the auction sites like Gunbroker (or even the other sites nobody mentions here) for used reloading equipment. There is usually lots of reloading stuff and you might find an auction for lot more than what you would get in a kit for less money.

Or buy a starter kit from RCBS with a Rockchucker press, but plan to spend another $100-$200 for the extra stuff you will want to buy after you start with the basics. I bought my first Rockchucker in 1979 and still use it for small jobs and special operations when I don't feel like firing up one of my Dillons-(I have 4 of them).

3)Then, (or before) get in touch with other reloaders
    in your area-They are the ones hanging out at your local gun club or shooting ranges. Ask them if they would be willing to show you how to get started-(this is not as hard as it sounds-most reloaders are very friendly and are willing to show you the ropes to get you started)-Sometimes they might even have extra equipment to sell for a lot less money than buying new. Plus you will have made a friend and have someone to swap info and other gun stuff with.

Most reloaders find that after they get started, making up loads and reloading is almost as much fun and relaxing as the shooting and often move into progressive reloading where you can really crank out the ammo.

The only drawback I've found is that since I have 2 boys, 10 and 13, I get so busy watching and trying to get to their sports games and other activities, I don't have as much time to reload as I would like, BUT it was quite gratifying when my son and I stopped at a range a couple of weeks ago (we heard they were having a shooting match where you shoot bowling pins in a combat match) and asked if we could join in and shoot a few rounds with them. These guys had been shooting this for a few weeks and we walked up and ended up taking first and third place for that evening. Well, we would never had gotten that much shooting experience without reloading (and shooting) so much out in our backyard. And guess what-My son said it beat the crap out of his video games!

Anyway-check it out! Reloading is rewarding for those willing to follow some simple directions! And good luck!
  • Options
    204targetman204targetman Member Posts: 3,493
    edited November -1
    All good info, Thanks. I'm going to take my time and try and get something good. I've already got the place for my bench cleaned out in the garage. And as far as the shooting with your kids....Shooting his .22 is the only thing my son enjoys more than the video games.
  • Options
    lfi guylfi guy Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recommed the Lyman. Even if you move up to a progressive like the Dillon, you'll always need a single stage to remove the primers prior to cleaning/reaming the primer pockets (after case tumbling). After you've done that, and checked for short/long cases. Then, you can start to reload.

The lyman will let you keep the case in the shell holder until the round is complete. I don't like Lee dies, other than the factory crimp and taper. They don't work well in the Dillon & are lousy for the M1 carbine.

You'll see a huge savings for rifle, and abut 50% for pistol, especially 357, 45& 44.
  • Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I dont know why i didnt think of this before. but here you go i just got a set of 204 dies and sent in the rebate for the bullets.
    dies $42.95
    after rebate the dies costed 17.95
    with the rebates they have killer deals on the presses specially the progressive

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=258331