In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Birchwood case cleaner?

Mort4570Mort4570 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
A friend brought over some brass to load that he'd cleaned with Birchwood Casey Brass Cartridge Cleaner.
He says he followed the directions,but that brass was all but impossilbe to run thru the sizer.
It was 45 colt brass,once fired.
There cases were sticky and gooey,and just plain Fugly.!
should it have worked better than this?
as I recall,he mixed a batch up,let the brass soak for 3 minutes,and dried,per insturcitons.
did he mess up,or is that stuff just plain messy??

Comments

• 788-308788-308 Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMO, he did not rinse the cases in plain water.
  • BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with 788-308. I think he may have missed the rinse part of the instructions.
  • Mort4570Mort4570 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    that would sure do it.I'll call and see if he did that.

otherwise it's prety good stuff?
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Otherwise pretty good stuff. I've used it quite a bit after my tumbler died. I prefer a good tumbling, but using the B.C. they do come out looking a lot better than they went in. With the B.C. you just have to make sure to thoroughly rinse and DRY, and with any of the tumbler/vibrators be sure you've gotten rid of all the medium. (Especially in primer pockets and flash holes.)
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    It works, but you do have to rinse. I have had just as good of luck with Purple Power; immerse the brass in it, let soak a few minutes, agitate, dump out (save the purple power, you can reuse it a number of times), and rinse in hot water.

Not worth it. If I want them shiny, they go in the tumbler.
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Saving the liquid for re-use goes for the other liquid cleaners as well. Good advice.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    boiling water with a touch of vinegar works every time. Agitate, let sit, agitate, let sit, then dump and rinse.