In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Tumbling with rice

What will rice do to the brass? Is it more of a 'cleaner' media, or a 'polisher' media?

I bought a big bag of walnut media, and it gets my brass very clean and bright, but not shiny. I do have some old rice lying around, and i want to try tumbling with that to see if it'll polish the brass.

Comments

• Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    In my experience, rice will do the same thing as the walnut shell media. To get your brass shiny you need to add some sort of brass polish additive. The benefit that you get with rice over other media is the rice doesn't stick in the flash hole like the walnut and corn cob media does.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello Rice "THE CHEAPEST BULK STUFF" will clean /shine and leave a almost dry lube type finish on your brass unless it is really coroded
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use rice or walnut (I am in the process of using up the last of my walnut) to clean. I treat it with Dillon or Frankford arsenal polish. I usually run this 1-2 hours. Then I use treated (again Dillon or Frankford) corn cob to shine. Usually about 1 hour. My brass usually shines brighter than factory. If you want to use rice to polish you may be dissapointed. Adding the polish will help but the corn for shiny can't be beat.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    I used to tie the end of a pillow off with 3-500 cases in it, filled with rice, and tumble in my dryer for about 45 minutes; gives a nice shine and only occasionally plugs the flash holes.
    Then I bought a tumbler and tried rice in that. Works pretty good and it's cheaper than walnut or corncob media.
    Plus, you don't have to worry about all that dust you get from walnut.
  • Options
    wcoxy2003wcoxy2003 Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i read on here sometime ago about using nu-shine car wax with corncob media if the treated media was getting old. so could you use the wax with rice? and what rice is it that you use, just the white like youd get at a grocery store?
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    I'm sure you could use Jasmine or Basmati rice, but if the idea is to buy it cheaper than waste walnut or ground up corncobs; just get a 10# bag and be happy!