In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Powder ID/Win.270 130gr P-P

Late-BloomerLate-Bloomer Member Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
I recently pulled the bullet from this factory Winchester 270 130GR Power-Point.

The powder weighed 59.5 gr and was advertised with a MV of 3060fps per Winchester's web-site.

Can anyone ID this powder?

DSCF0158.jpg

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    This is Winchester Ball type powder . But you will not be able to buy this powder for reloading[:(]Winchester and others Blend powder "that is why you see small and larger <balls> within your sample" and load factory loads to a pressure and velocity. The powder you buy for reloading is CANISTER powder each lot made is supposed to be equal to every other lot no matter when it was made [:)] as reloaders dont have any way to measure pressure.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info PS

I thought so but just wanted to take another stab at it to be sure, thanks for your reply!
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You CAN buy this powder, IF you know the actual designation, and are willing to purchase a 10,000lb tote full. Note that the next time you order another tote full, that the data you worked up will no longer be valid as the next batch won't be the same as the first batch.

It's the boxcar size quanities that make it "unreasonable" for reloaders to purchase "non-canister" powders.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks TG1954...

I read you loud & clear....

I'll just use some of the more common powders and see what I can work up using this same bullet...
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Late Bloomer,

What I want to know is have you chrono'd any of the rounds that use this powder? I always find it interesting that Winchester, Federal, and Remington all advertise a given velocity for the rounds ....that never seems to make it. The only factory ammo I have ever shot that I got what I expected was Hornady. They have been up and coming as a reloading company for years and have finally in the past few(ten?) years started seriously marketing ammo. You may not be able to buy THAT powder but do you need to? Try changing to VihtaVuori or Hodgdon extremes. Compare either by chrono graph or by actual drop if you have a range out to 300 or so. You will be amazed at how downloaded the factory stuff is.

the main thing to remember though is accuracy. It does no good to have a hyper-fast bullet that has a 50%-50% chance of hitting the target at three hundred because accuracy wasn't good enough.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is probably Winchester 785 Ball powder, max load of 785 and a 130 gr .270 was 60 grains in an old manual here.

785 was only on the commercial market a short time, either because it did not sell in competition with things like 4831 or because it was inflexible in its loading requirements and did not perform for the home handloader; depending on which version you read.
    Didn't mean they could not keep it in production for factory loads.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Late -Bloomer,

Like has been said, it is most likely a proprietry blend that is not available to us. However, Hodgdon's H414, or Winchester's W760 will give you about maximum performance for a ball powder in a 270 winchester as far as ball powders go. If going with extruded type powders, the IMR 4350 is hard to beat for that class of cartriges.
  • Options
    wtroperwtroper Member Posts: 736 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have loaded many 270 rounds. H4831 was my choice back when I was shooting that caliber a lot. Good velocity & good (hunting) accuracy in my rifles.
  • Options
    laogailaogai Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have 2 370's and have shot both a fiar amount--one for 10 years. they both like 4831 or R19