In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Primer explosion

formerlywrongformerlywrong Member Posts: 139 ✭✭✭
Today, nearly every product has warnings to the buyer/user. Some think it's aimed at stopping lawsuits, which are of course out of control because no one is responsible any more for their own mistakes.

Can tell you, HEED the warnings that come with primers if you reload. I was using a Lee primer-feed with a progressive press, priming cases, one jammed, I levered it pretty hard, and a BIG explosion occurred.

Not a bang, bang, bang, one after another, as I had pictured it would be, if it happened, but one fast, large explosion. All the primers side by side in the feed trough exploded, and that action fortunately stopped at the top of the trough, luckily, even though there were 100 primers in there. I figured about 15 exploded.

Worst part was, I was leaning over close to see what the hell caused the jam when it happened. 2nd. mistake: no safety glasses. Have near-sightedness bad, so take off glasses sometimes to see up real close.

Shrapnel hit my face, cheeks mostly, nothing serious, nothing in my eyes. Take heed of my experience!

I never used the automatic primer feed again, but rely on my Lee Auto-Prime, which is a different type, hand-held feeder which cannot squeeze a primer (I hope) as hard as a lever-type press.

Comments

• BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have seen it done on a Dillon 650 when the person using it was not paying attention (bozo husband that taught her did not teach her well)and the whole primer tube went up. The nylon weighted rod that sets on the primers ended up stuck in the ceiling. She wasn't hurt but her husband never has gotten her to load again. She got a primer sideways somehow and crushed it causing it to go off. About 30 primers went off. I was across the room and it sure was loud. A good reminder to wear safety glasses.
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Just to add to your problem...Lee only reccommends certain primers in that Auto-Prime...
  • HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Highball
    Just to add to your problem...Lee only reccommends certain primers in that Auto-Prime...

Really? I have not heard that. I have used just about every type of primer with mine.
    Which ones do they tell you not to use?
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HandgunHTR52
    quote:Originally posted by Highball

Really? I have not heard that. I have used just about every type of primer with mine.
    Which ones do they tell you not to use?

They don't recommmend Federal Primers. They are the softest on the market. Go with CCI's or Winnie's. Although I've used about a thousand Federals with no problem. I take special care to clean the primer pocket and seat them softly but firmly. I'll go to CCI's when I'm done with my case of Fed's
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    never had a federal primer go off in the lee primer tool. If it is "sticky" it is best to look to see why before applying too much pressure,..but that holds true with any primer tool.

If I feel resistance, I STOP APPLYING PRESSURE and inspect to see the cause.