In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

nice .38 load

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
I have been working on a plinker load for .38's that you can shoot all day without breaking the bank or your wrist.

I discovered this load while testing anything I could think of, it shoots way better than I could ever imagine it would.

Lyman 356402 121gr T-cone bullet, sized .358. Various brass headstamps, federal primer, 4.0gr. of red dot.

This load is a tack driver in my 6" 686. It groups one ragged hole at 25 yards. The point of impact was 3 clicks right of where this 686 normally shoots. There is very little recoil but it is a bit smokey. If you are looking for a cheap plinker load you may want to try it.

Comments

• Options
    old single shotsold single shots Member Posts: 3,594
    edited November -1
    Another great plinking load for 38 spl. 3--3.2gr. bullseye with a 148 gr. lead wadcutter.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by old single shots
    Another great plinking load for 38 spl. 3--3.2gr. bullseye with a 148 gr. lead wadcutter.

I agree with you, that load is a good plinker and bullseye target load. But the darn wad cutters are hard to load on progressive presses for me. I tend to get the bullet started crooked and then it bulges the case. The bullet listed above is a 9MM bullet, you would never think it would shoot so good in a 38. I will load a few with bullseye and report back on how they shoot. I was using the 9MM bullet because i'm out of 148gr WC's and the shed was too cold to cast today..
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Bpost: you must be running a Hornady[}:)] My Dillon loves wadcutters, even with my fat fingers in the way, it loads bevel base, hollow base, and double ended!

"Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit" --OVID
  • Options
    dg101windg101win Member Posts: 751 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Dillon 550 also handles wadcutters with ease. Just once in awhile I get a HBWC upside down is all.

Retired Air Force Msgt--NRA Life Member since 1971