In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

advice on starting to reload

cruzie27cruzie27 Member Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
im interested in reloading for my dragunov,.. it shoots a 7.62x54r round,.. what are some good tools/equip. for me to start with?,..what do i need?

Comments

• Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First thing you should buy is a reloading manual, from Lyman or Hornady and READ it! Then you will have an idea of what you need to buy to start reloading. Everyone wants to jump in and start reloading without doing any reading on the subject!
    I would suggest a RCBS Rock Chucker as your first press if you are only going to be reloading a few rifle calibers.

Chris8161
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof!
    stooges.jpg
  • Options
    cruzie27cruzie27 Member Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ok what if i want to do pistol and rifle?,.... aslo i am getting a .50 beowulf rifle that i wanna reload on too
  • Options
    ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    check out the links in the sticky.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    being as neither caliber/rifle will be target grade accurate anyway,..I would buy a cheaper press and some standard FL die sets. First,..most manuals will have a handloading instruction section for you to read,..but I would then suggest you spend time with someone who has done it for a number of years. Run through the process with an experienced loader to help direct you and show you any errors you are making. That will help you get a good start for being on your own.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    deadeye46deadeye46 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    cruzie,before buying any reloading equipment,I'd check out Lyman's Expert or T-Mag loading outfit.These outfits seem to have the most required "stuff" that you need to load with,including a good manual.
    After loading roughly 30 years,I still like those outfits.Good luck on your endeavor,Bob.
  • Options
    telejojotelejojo Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    get the lee aniv. kit.it comes witheverything you need except dies.you can load pistol or rifle that will shoot just as good as the more expensive ones.you can get one for around 100.00 bucks.
  • Options
    firstharmonicfirstharmonic Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my opinion, the starting point for reloading would be to find a mentor. For me, it was my Dad. If you don't already know someone, go to your local hunting clubs or to a shooting range, and bring the firearm. When someone shows up with a gun and som ammo and wants to shoot, there will always be people who will want to look at the gun -a great icebreaker.

Get to know the folks, and express your interest in reloading. Hopefully, you will connect with one or more people who will be willing to lend you their experience.

Good luck. Reloading is more than a money saver, it's satisfying and fun.

Noli Illegitimi Carborundum
  • Options
    ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by telejojo
    get the lee aniv. kit.it comes witheverything you need except dies.you can load pistol or rifle that will shoot just as good as the more expensive ones.you can get one for around 100.00 bucks.

midwayusa.com has them with the manual for about 75 if I recall.. + shipping of course

sniper.gifhappy.gifanim_sniper.gif

"I will no longer debate a liberal because I feel they are beneath contempt. Just communicating with one contaminates a person." - whiteclouder