In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

This makes my Brain hurt

yekimakyekimak Member Posts: 257 ✭✭✭
http://www.hodgdon.com/data/pistol/44remmag.php#top

I do not get it, they are able to get 330 grain bullets in .44 mag to run faster than 300 grainers with the same pressure?? Does the .44 have a "sweet spot" in that weight range?

Comments

• Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    Many times, a lead bullet will be faster on a similar powder charge, with less pressure. Once a lead bullet obturates to fit the bore perfectly, it simply goes down the barrel with less resistance than a jacketed one. Think of trying to drive out a squibbed lead bullet versus a jacketed one. The jacketed one is nearly impossible, where as a lead one comes out easily.

My border collie is smarter than your honor student.
  • Options
    ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    lower twist rates work better with heavier bullets, could be a contributing factor.

sniper.gifhappy.gifanim_sniper.gif

"I will no longer debate a liberal because I feel they are beneath contempt. Just communicating with one contaminates a person." - whiteclouder
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    Ruger you go it backwards, faster rates with heavier(longer) bullets.

I had this issue show its ugly head when working up racegun loads with a friend in a witness 9x21. no matter what jacketed or plated bullet we tried with HS6, we couldn't make 175PF, Switched to a lead 124, the first load we tried made major with no signs of pressure, and less powder than our max on jacketed bullets.

My border collie is smarter than your honor student.