In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

New to reloading, need advice on how to start.

1911fan1911fan Member Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
I want to load 45 long colt as the rounds cost to much to buy.

If I mold my own bullets, do I need to add zink or such to pure lead?

Do you suggest that I try a Lee Loader or begin with a cheap press?

If I shoot with different guns, does this make a difference for the Lee Loader as I read where someone said a Lee Loader does not resize?

Now the hardest question: How much is the projected cost to beginning to reload one caliber?

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think the Lee loader is awesome on Pistol rounds and you can get a setup pretty cheap.

When you get into the larger rifle rounds the Lee will still work but if you can spend a few more bucks I'd go RCBS or Redding.

About casting your own bullets. Lead bullets for 45LC are cheap. I'd day 25.00 for 500 moly coated 230gn bullets.
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    Buy a good manual first, Lee, Speer, Lyman, and sierra come to mind.

Zinc will ruin the lead that you use. 1 part in 10000 makes the lead hard to work with. Most of my handgun loads are straight scrap wheel weights. They are nearly free, and make a good quality fairly hard bullet.

I would advise you buy bullets, as they aren't that big of expense, until you are sure you want to stick with reloading.

For least expensive route to quality ammo buy a Lee aniversary kit and a set of carbide dies. Should cost you less than $100 from Midwayusa.com (this is the cheap press route), The lee loader does not size the entire case and as such can make rechambering reloads difficult in a revolver(IMHO they are great for a bolt rifle).

My border collie is smarter than your honor student.
  • Options
    ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    initial cost will be a bit, for one caliber.. well, if you already have a good old sturdy desk, something you dont mind drilling a few holes in, then about $200 to start with a press.. figure a Lee Anniversary kit, die set, components.

I agree with richbug, buy some manuals, check out www.half.com for some second hand deals.. lyman, speer, lee, hornady, sierra, nosler, all make good manuals. and then check out the sticky at the top of this forum.. it says paintball links, but I posted some good reloading links in there that are of help to newbies like you and I.

Dont get into bullet molding until you have a firm knowledge and experience of the reloading procedure, it will help you understand bullet making and what not.

sniper.gifhappy.gifanim_sniper.gif

"I will no longer debate a liberal because I feel they are beneath contempt. Just communicating with one contaminates a person." - whiteclouder
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Classic uses the Lee Hand loader kit, about 18 bucks, a powder scale, and home made powder scoops, cost no more than 40 bucks, and he gets what he wants from his bullets. Its slow but accurate way of loading

cute_skunk.gif

Hudson.gif
    Lil' Stinker's Opinion
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1911, I'm not going to give advice as what has been posted is very good.

However, a clarification on bullet alloys - you do *not* want to be adding zinc to your lead. Tin for hardness / greatly improved flow characteristics and antimony - in small amounts - for hardness are the alloying metals of choice for good reason.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the french." (Mark Twain)