In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Which Primers

CHGOTHNDERCHGOTHNDER Member Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭
I use CCI are their any better ones.

PJ

editorialcolor.bmp
If nobody seen you do it, how could you have done it. NRA Endowment Member, AF&AM, Shriner Life Member, A.B.A.T.E. of Illinois "Chicago Chapter" Founding Member & Board Member

Comments

• Options
    ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Chgothnder,

I use CCI BR2s, Federal Gold Match 210s and Winchester large. It all depends on rifle and load. I know that my Varget loads like CCI BR2s better than Winchester. You will probably just have to try some of each to find out what your rifle and load likes.
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    I use Federal's in my revolvers. If I use CCI's they go click, click, click, click, click, click..... I always use CCI's in my semi auto rifles for the exact opposite reason I don't use them in my revolvers. I don't want the rifle to fire any extra shots.

My border collie is smarter than your honor student.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been using federal or winchester for 30 years. I like the winchester in pistol and the federal in rifles.
  • Options
    Ronald J. SnowRonald J. Snow Member Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sell CCI primers for rifle and handgun and Winchester for shotgun. Have been in retail reloading business since 1981 and have had not one complaint with primers.

Most of the problems I have seen regarding missfires is due to the primers not being seated deep enough, the primer inserted up-side-down or no powder in the casing.
  • Options
    D.K.D.K. Member Posts: 291 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nope CCIs are best...have had serious problems with Federal.
    Haven't tried winchester , remington or others....started with
    federal...soon switched to CCI....why fix it if it ain't broke!
  • Options
    8yellowfintuna8yellowfintuna Member Posts: 787 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have alway used CCI for high power and shot gun, for over twenty years reloading and never had a bad primer....so I use what has worked best...

"Beam me up Scottie"
  • Options
    old single shotsold single shots Member Posts: 3,594
    edited November -1
    I also use mostly CCI.I also like remington especially the small rifle benchrest
  • Options
    rimfire72rimfire72 Member Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use Winchester in my handgun loads and Federal match in my rifles. Never tried the CCIs.

buycoolshirts_1825_31216154.jpg
  • Options
    TheBrassManTheBrassMan Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CCI for everything.

Nowhere in the U.S. Constitution does it state: "Seperation of Church and State".

"Those who beat their guns into plow shares; will plow for those who don't."

62038332.jpgawcountdown.gif

"Isaiah 5:20 ?Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!"
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm a Swamp Yankee; for casual shooting, I use whatever is cheapest, including older primers bought at bargain basement prices . . . I can count the misfires on my fingers, and most of those were rounds where I'd mis-seated. For my one tack driver, CCI BR primers simply for the alleged consistency. I might do as well with something else, but that's how I created the loads, so that's what I use.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the french." (Mark Twain)
  • Options
    SnellstromSnellstrom Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    30 years ago ( I was 14 Years old ) I started with Federal primers, had one mis-fire and it was my fault not the primers I'm sure but that day I switched to CCI and have never used anything else for all my rifles and for the little bit of pistol loading that I do. I have never had one problem in 30 years now and 10's of 1000's of rounds loaded and fired.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used Winchester for years mostly for handgun, UNTIL they switched to those brass colored primers in the blue boxes, bout 7 years ago.

Had trouble with them in a Glock, went to Federals been working fine for me in handguns since. Bought 5,000 Federals to start loading for rifles, see how they work.

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    firstharmonicfirstharmonic Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use CCI Large Rifle and Small Pistol. For shotgun/battery cup in the scatterguns and the .577/450, I prefer Winchester. Never had a misfire.

Noli Illegitimi Carborundum
  • Options
    will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    I can't get Feceral small to go in without some crush factor happening and it scares me. I threw all my Federals away and use Winchester and CCI now.

"When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend."
    ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
    Twentynine_Palms.gif
  • Options
    D.K.D.K. Member Posts: 291 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Iconoclast....What's a swamp yankee? Never heard the term before.
  • Options
    RadCatRadCat Member Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For many years I used only CCI. (I like their nickel finish) I still use them now.

But recently I switched to mostly Winchester. They are affordable, especially by the case. Never had a failure, and they are extremely consistent from batch to batch.

I've had some problem with "bad batches" of CCI primers. Rare but has happened. (Am I the only one?)

Dillon does not reccomend the use of Federal primers with their machines. I won't use them for pistol, But have used their "Gold Medal" small rifle primers with great success (even on pistol loads).
  • Options
    PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The type of primer I use is dictated by the type of powder that I am going to use and the size(volumn) of the case involved. Some primers are a little hotter than the others. I have been reloading since 1958 and have only had 2 misfires in all that time(at least that is all I can remember) but then I completely uniform the primer pocket and the flash hole before I start the reloading process. I have had other reloaders bring me their reloads to me when they start having problems and after pulling down and checking their loads I have always been able to find a problems in their reloading procedure. Depending on the rifle or pistol involved a number of problems can crop up in a reloading sequence that can lead to problems. A slighly long firing pin, too high seated primer, too deeply seated primer, primer not seated flush or un-even, etc. Seldom is the problem the primer itself or the maker. One fellow who brought some rifle loads to me that were burning holes in his primers. After some checking we found that he had got some pistol primers mixed up with rifle primers on his loading bench and loaded some rifle ammo with pistol primers. Pistol primers having softer metal in the caps were burning right through in his rifle loads. He was lucky that he was using extremely reduced loads to shoot groundhogs around a small farm or things could have really got interresting in a hurry.
  • Options
    guns-n-painthorsesguns-n-painthorses Member Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So on once-fired BHA 45 Colt brass the best primer for plinking rounds would be...?

Would be shot from a Henry and a Vequareo pistol.
  • Options
    eastwood44mageastwood44mag Member Posts: 2,655 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Winchester 209's and CCI 350, or whatever the heck they call em now (large pistol magnums).

O Lord,
    grant me the Serenity
    to accept the things
    I cannot change
    the courage to change the things I can,
    and the supreme firepower to make the difference.
  • Options
    Shootist3006Shootist3006 Member Posts: 4,171
    edited November -1
    Depending on cartridge and load - I use 'em all (except Federal - no good for anything-ever!).

NRA ENdowment, CRPA Life, Past President NRA Members Council
    Quod principi placuit legis habet vigorem. Semper Fidelis
    marinesega2.jpg