In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

loaded brass?

rollnblockrollnblock Member Posts: 384 ✭✭✭
how do yall clean loaded brass that is tarnishing?

Comments

• ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    many actually use a tumbler w/o problems..

I would suggest brasso, but I dont know if there might be a flammability problem and whatnot.

brasso does work very well on brass though.. I guess you could use that if you cleaned it down with some rem oil afterwards..

sniper.gifhappy.gifanim_sniper.gif

"I will no longer debate a liberal because I feel they are beneath contempt. Just communicating with one contaminates a person." - whiteclouder
  • drygulchdandrygulchdan Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    some folks claim that if you tumble loaded ammo , it will break down the structure of powder and affect the burn rate.I dont know if it does or does not,however I would just use 0000 steel wool.

Never trust a government that doesnt trust its own citizens with guns
    --Thomas Jefferson

Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are of the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath?
    Thomas Jefferson
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Absolutely not a good idea to tumble loaded brass. not now, not ever !

Gun control is hitting what your aiming at.
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Shoot...... then tumble.
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bronze wool (not steel wool) and Isopropal alcohal.

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the 0000 steel wool and a Lee trim lock stud set up and a battery powered screwdriver to clean corrosion ocassionally. Fast and easy and won't do any damage if you don't get too carried away. Just a light touch on the wool is all that is needed.
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to be firmly in the camp which had a nervous breakdown at the barest suggestion of tumbling loaded ammo. Then I learned that the big guys - Remington & Hornady, at least - do this routinely to make the factory ammo look so pretty.

As a personal preference, I wouldn't consider it unless there was some compelling reason. If the ammo is clean, just tarnished, I'd shoot it and tumble before loading again. External stains have no effect on accuracy.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the french." (Mark Twain)
  • James AyersJames Ayers Member Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [8D]I do exactly the same as Pinhead (for all cal's) and in 5 seconds it cleans and polishes![:)][:)][:p][:D]

On your mark-get set- go away!!
  • James AyersJames Ayers Member Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [8D]I do exactly the same as Pinhead (for all cal's) and in 5 seconds it cleans and polishes![:)][:)][:p][:D]

On your mark-get set- go away!!
  • ElbestaElbesta Member Posts: 334 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do not use Brasso to clean cases as it contains ammonia that will shorten the life of the brass, It makes it brittle. Use brass polish that is made to be used in a tumbler.