In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

30-06 cast bullet load

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
I had loaded several hundred cast loads using the following. Mixed mil match brass, Lyman 311041 173gr GC lyman gas checks, cast out of linotype. I used a load of 10.5 gr of Red Dot, the lowest load listed in the Lyman cast bullet handbook. I'll put them over the chrony this weekend to see how close the book is on velocity. The rifle, a 1903A3 remington, 9-43 two groove barrel.

It is FUN to shoot this load the recoil and muzzle blast are very mild. I was plinking at dirt clods and tin cans at 100 yards. The accuracy was really good. My 10"X12" steel plate is at 165 yards, I could hit it if I held over about 14 inches. As long as I got the elevation right every shot rang the bell.

For those that are breaking in new shooters to high power rifle shooting cast loads may be the way to start. The Lyman cast bullet handbook lists loads from 1300 up to 2500 FPS. Teaching the fundamentals with these loads should help new shooters a lot and save you some cash.

Comments

• Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    I have a similar load I use. It is 12 grains of 2400 with a 190 grain LGC bullet. I use it in pretty much any 30 cal rilfe I have. Fun to plink.

My border collie is smarter than your honor student.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I have had very good luck with 14 gr. of Red dot and a 150 gr. bullet. About the max for red dot though. You can go a bit higher with 2400, I wuodl say about 19 to 21 gr.

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf