In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How much money for commercial loader

ccddbb95448ccddbb95448 Member Posts: 796 ✭✭✭✭
http://iidbs.com/hitech/
How much would it cost to make your own commercial ammo.
From equipment to components to different caliber's.
Could we co operation of our money to make our own commercial
ammunition to resale and shoot ourselves?

[:D]

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dillion SUPER 1050 $1,500
    quick change tool head $175
    dies and plates per cal $100

Manufacturers Lic from ATF ???

Insurance $500 mo.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No that is not what I'm talking about. Commercial 100,000,000,000 of rounds of ammo.
    [:D]
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think the last commericial loading press I saw listed was somthing over $100,000 USED. That's not counting any brass, primer, powder or bullet manufacture capability (and definatly not counting the multi-million dollars worth of libality insurance)

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    cc, you are talking well into nine figures just to start on that scale, likely ten. You need all sorts of specialized equipment to draw / forge the brass from slugs, more specialized equipment to form and fill bullet jackets, at least one chemical plant to produce powder, likely another to make the pellets for the primers, plus stamping / assembly equipment for those cups and anvils, very expensive loading equipment, testing equipment, ballistics engineers, chemists, skilled machinists, land for plants, a distribution system, sales people, advertising . . . . and there are plenty of competitors out there.

Now, to load commercially *buying* most of your components, that depends on what you want to do. There are several local / regional / national companies which churn out "remanufactured" or otherwise cheap ammo. There is *NO* money to be made on common calibers unless you have huge economies of scale. Labor costs will eat your lunch. BTDT, and it was *my* labor. Custom loading or otherwise unobtainable items are the only way a private party can recoup the investment in equipment / time. Consequently, the market is limited . . . and by the time you have the tooling to form cases and load, say, 9.3x72R or even something such as .25 Remington, if you add in minimum wage, most ppl won't talk to you; they will do it themselves. BTDT again.

Short answer - greet ppl at Walmart if you want to make any sort of wage. Or have more money than you and your family can possibly spend in this lifetime and go whole hog.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the french." (Mark Twain)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok not that big just putting all the components together, not making
    them.
    [:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ccddbb95448
    Ok not that big just putting all the components together, not making
    them.
    [:)]

Look up the pricing for a "Camdon" or "Camden" reloading unit. Don't forget to add in the tooling required to change cartridges.

Whittemore
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Found this reloading setup for sale, the equipment is in Romania, so you have to calculate the exchange rate, shipping and importation fees. Discription ans spelling are C&P.

- full technological line for hunting cartridge
    Price: ROL 4,456,766,000 composed by:

- equipment for assembling the cartridge tube;
    - equipment for calibration of cartridge tube;
    - equipment for cartridge tube printing;
    - equipment for cartridge tube moisture resistant x 2 pieces;
    - equipment for cartridge charging x 2 pieces
    - equipment for cartridge packing x 2 pieces
    [ see pictures http://www.liquidation-ro.com/thalida_utilaje.html ]

Whittemore
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I suppose if you are serious you will go outside of a public forum for information. I think you may be outclassed here in the "PaintBall Sport Shooting(?) forum. Not that I doubt anyones' knowledge but come on now, we haven't even got a casual relaoding forum and your asking questions in the millions of dollars range?

GET REAL.

R/

Dave
    th_bigclay.bmp
    People everywhere confuse what they read in newspapers with news.

-- A. J. Liebling