In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Opinions of Rifle die sets please...

TeamblueTeamblue Member Posts: 782 ✭✭✭✭
I have to get a set of .260 Rem dies. I currently use a Lee Deluxe set for my .308, and like the fact that it comes with both the Full-length and neck sizer dies. But...Lee doesn't make a Deluxe set for the .260, you have to buy two separate sets to get both full and neck dies.

So...I was thinking of getting a different brand and see that Redding makes a set with both dies.

Your opinions on Redding dies please. And any and all others as your experience dictates.

Thanks!!

'Blue

"Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war" Psalm 144

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Comments

• Options
    old single shotsold single shots Member Posts: 3,594
    edited November -1
    I have about 25 different sets of dies.I think 2 of them are Redding.Most of them are RCBS.Although the Redding are excellant,i can't see where they are better--worse than RCBS.I also have a few LEE dies and like them also.
  • Options
    agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    All my die sets are Redding. Very good quality and they don't cost you an arm and a leg. Their custom dies are also less costly than other die makers custom dies.

AlleninAlaska
    Delta Firearms & Supplies
    http://www.galleryofguns.com

aglore@gci.net
  • Options
    plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    The easiest to use are the "precision dies" by RCBS. Seating bullets is much easier as is changing seating depth.
  • Options
    rimfire72rimfire72 Member Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Redding is the way to go.

buycoolshirts_1825_31216154.jpg
  • Options
    D.K.D.K. Member Posts: 291 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go Redding blue! They are of best quality and
    you wull find they are the easiest to adjust.

As for 3 die sets.....I have all Redding 3 die sets.
    Now John Barsness says only a full length die is necessary
    since you can neck size with a full length die by readjusting
    it!

Thanks John, you're only twenty years too late!
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had good luck with Redding and Dillon tools in addition to RCBS, although 90% of my dies came in dark green boxes. I don't think you can go wrong with any of these three.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the french." (Mark Twain)
  • Options
    ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I vote for Redding if you got the money or RCBS.

If on a tight budget a set of Lee Deluxe dies work fine.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Redding would be my first choice,..and if you are getting SERIOUS, then go with the "S" series bushing dies. I have RCBS that are just as straight, and if you are looking for non-match accuracy,.they will work just fine. IF, you could get the Lee set with all 3 dies,..that would be the way to go for a factory rifle. The Lee collet die really does make some straight neck sized loads. My unturned 30-06 brass comes out at .002" and less. They just need to put a real METAL cap on the neck die so it doesn't blow out the top when you try to get some high neck tension or have an oversized die body.[V]

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have Lee. RCBS, Hornady, Lyman, Redding and C-H dies. They all do the job if you read and follow the instructions correctly. The Reddings are the best polished and finished of the group but does not necessarily load any better loads than the others. If you want to feel the difference between Redding and the other just run the lock ring up and down on the Redding and then try it on the others. You'll see that Redding takes just a little more time on fit and finish. Like I said though, they will all load good accurate ammo if you do your job right. If I was a bench rester though, I would certainly go with Redding--I have never seen a Redding sizer die that sized cases slightly off center and I have occassionally seen sets of others dies that would re-size the case off center. These companies do replace these dies when they are called on to do so and this does not happen all that often.
  • Options
    ZERODINZERODIN Member Posts: 6,338
    edited November -1
    RCBS Precision dies are the way to go if you can get them. You can precisely adjust bullet seating depth without messing with lock nuts or anything, so when you are building up a load you can precisely say 'I want an OAL of 2.200", 2.204", and 2.206"' to experiment with; and when you change bullets you don't have to use a different die or lose your setting, as you just write down the number you have the die set to when you document your load data.
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only set I have had trouble wiht was a Hornady set of .270 Win that had too large of an expander, and the seating die would often seat so off center that the case neck would be crushed. I have used other Hornady dies that work fine. Seems like I HAD a bad set.
    Now all of my dies are RCBS. I have never had any trouble with them. As for Redding or Lee, I have not used them so I can't help you there.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Lee may be the cheapest, and they make some stuff that I consider junk, but their dies are top notch. I have never found any dies to do better or worse than any other; find the ones that do what you want and get those, but note that some sellers such as midway will sell sizer dies seperately; a set of Lees plus an extra neck sizer will likely be less than a set of the other brands.....

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf