In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

New reloader needs some help?

Bill CostikBill Costik Member Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have been slowly buying up stuff that I need to start relaoding. Before I get too indepth though, I would like to find a book, that outlines procedures, materials/supplies needed, etc. Anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Lyman Reloading handbook has a quite good explination of the whole process. If you buy every reloading manual you can find they all have good information to offer.
  • Options
    firstharmonicfirstharmonic Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Although I have several, as do most people, I too like the Lyman, It is written in a good, basic, down-to-earth style. And since Lyman doesn't make jacked bullets, their loading data features a number of bullet styles and weights.

Noli Illegitimi Carborundum
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can't add much more than what bpost1958 said, More books the Better. I like having Powder and Bullet reload books. Sierra, Nosler, Hornady, lyman etc. Also Many (If not all) of the powder makers have load data online as well if you can't find what ya need.

new_snipersmilie.gif
    NRA Life Endowment Member
  • Options
    old single shotsold single shots Member Posts: 3,594
    edited November -1
    "A B C's of Reloading" is an excellant book for anyone just starting out.Gives step by step instructions.Available through Krause Publications.Check ajarmsbooksellers.com for this and others.Look under loadbooks.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One other thing, The velocity listed in reloading manauls are from test barrels. You won't get the same results, they have LONG barrels. Don't get FPS happy, it is counter productive to the true benifits of reloading. Reloading for accuracy seldom requires the max charges listed. But the max charge listed is just that, the max that the manufacturer could confirm consistent safe pressures.

A caribou shot through both lungs is going to die and do so pretty quick. The animal does not know if it was hit at 2500 FPS or 2000FPS. Dead is dead.

I have loaded a 174gr government match bullets with 46gr of 4895 for years. It is not the fastest flying round I have ever loaded but it shoots very well in my rifle. Using the exact same load with 165 or 180 hunting bullets has killed many moose and caribou for me. I have never had pressure problems with it and some LC 67 match brass has been loaded at least 15 times. I still use them.
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Lee loading manual would be great for a beginner.Just use common sense and ask lots of questions.
  • Options
    ginmasterginmaster Member Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The public Library worked very well for me.[:D]

Good luck out there.
  • Options
    knucklehead14knucklehead14 Member Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The NRA reloading book is very basic and usefull.

Bad spellers of the world

"UNTIE!"