In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

anyone use the Stoney Point Comparator?

JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
I just read some posts from other reloaders who have been using the Stoney Point caliper mounted Comparator in leiu of the Sinclair version which is a large hex nut with calibers drilled in each side with a throating reamer for exact dimensions. I figured the throating reamer made the most sense to me, but I hear the stoney point version has a little less wobble and not being hand held, as well as being attached to each caliper blade which causes it to be held in a close to perfect straight axis, makes for a better unit. Anyone tested both?

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
Got Balistics?

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Hey Justin, My gunsmith recommends the Stoney Point. Evidently, it's pretty popular.

Eric

All American Arms Company

www.galleryofguns.com
    VIP Code: AAAC

Veteran Owned and Operated
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Justin,

I think that it, as always, boils down to what works best but most importantly in this application, consistantly for you.

I built one of the hex nut versions years ago and it worked fine most of the time except that there can be some variation just from the way it has to be used. I even went so far as to bore the holes with the correct taper. It didn't make much difference, since the measurement is taken from a circle at just one point on the bullet's ogive. If I was measuring several hundred or thousand bullets, I would look into another method.

I bought both the Stoney Point and the Davidson Comparators to see if either or both would be suitable for checking large amounts of bullets. The good news is that both work just fine for most of the bullets that I measure. The only thing that I would point out is that any of these tools meant for interchangeability leave room for a small amount of error which usually occurs as repeatability. There will always be some form of error, however small. The brass and the bullets, as you know, contribute to this also. I consider either of these two to be superior over the Hex Nut version but I like the Davidson best. It seems like there might be another way though...

I have also retired my 'electronic' calipers in favor of my dial calipers since the dial gives more consistant readings without having to reset it. There are simply too many other variables in this practice that can force errors of 0.001" let alone 0.0005". The dial merely simplifies the reading of the measurement.

I'm also going to shoot some tests with bullets that have been uniformed using one of the Tooley tools. I've build my own version to see if Dave's can be improved... Hope springs eternal!

Good shooting (and measuring)!
  • chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    Ive used the Stoney point for years, Never tryed anything else, The Stoney Point works fine for me.