In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Question about commercial loading equipment

Dennis SmithDennis Smith Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭
The post "How much money for commercial loader" made me curious about what kind of loaders are used by commercial ammo manufacturers. I had always figured they use automatic presses just like reloaders use. But the responses to the post indicate that it isn't that simple.

An exhaustive internet search on the subject taught me...nothing! Can anyone help me out with links, or even sugestions for key words to search for?

I understand the need for secrecy between competitors, but it would seem that the processes used during WWII would have been declassified by now.

The Library of Congress and the National Archives both have extensive photo collections of WWII ammunition plants, but any photos of the loading machines are conspicuously absent.

Anyone have any inside information on the subject?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dennis
    This webpage will give you a few pictures and discriptions of the Camdex line of reloading equipment. Perhaps you could contact them for other photos http://www.camdexloader.com/index.htm

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • Dennis SmithDennis Smith Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the link Tailgunner.

Camdex loaders appear to be the ultimate loaders of the 21st century. Programmable logic controllers and servo motors. The smallest one turns out 4,000 rounds an hour!

I found some information about a "plate loader" at http://www.rvow.com/Default.htm Apparently these were set up like single stage presses for each operation, with conveyors between them. They seat or crimp 17 cases per stroke, and index the next plate on the upstroke.

plate3a_small.jpg

plate2a_small.jpg

Buying a new set of dies would take on a whole new dimension in an operation like that, huh?
    edited November -1
    Yep, it would. Not to mention the cartridge change over time/expense
    It dosn't take long to realize just how expensive it is to start reloading on a comericial scale, does it?

Looking at the plate loaders, and compairing to the old photos, I see some similarities. Do you?

Whittemore
  • Dennis SmithDennis Smith Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Looking at the plate loaders, and compairing to the old photos, I see some similarities. Do you?

Hey Tailgunner,

Do you mean similarities between the two pictures? I think it's the same machine, just taken at different angles.

Here's more monster stuff they have for sale. For forming 20mm cases from brass flat stock. Bet you could keep the neighbors awake running one of those in your garage!

Bliss%20166%20front.gif

Header1.jpg
    edited November -1
    quote:The Library of Congress and the National Archives both have extensive photo collections of WWII ammunition plants, but any photos of the loading machines are conspicuously absent.

quote:Do you mean similarities between the two pictures? I think it's the same machine, just taken at different angles.

Between the archive photo's and the ones you posted.

I have a friend that could use some virgin 20mmx102 NATO and 27mmx145 BRASS cases (everything he can get is steel) and streight 50BMG (not yet necked down), to make his 2 & 4 bore and 700HE cases from (he's into BIG bore wildcatter)

Whittemore