In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

38 brass

ibffsteveibffsteve Member Posts: 582 ✭✭✭✭
Im gonna start loading 38 Spl brass with wadcutters. Now somewhere I read that brass with a cannalure should be used for wadcutters. Is this true? If so where can I find some? Tried Midway but they dont specify if the brass has cannalures or not.

There is no pleasure in having nothing to do;the fun is having lots to do and not doing it.

Comments

• Options
    deputydondeputydon Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have never heard of that [?][?] I have loaded thousands in both types of cases and never noticed any difference. Used to load DE & hollow base wadcutters but have since gone to 150gr SWC. They shoot real well in my revolvers. I may have some WC moulds laying around if you want to cast some WC's. I usually just use old wheel weights. -Don

blonds.bmpWhen they pry it from my cold dead fingers.
    Parsons.gif
  • Options
    dg101windg101win Member Posts: 751 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never heard of that either. I too have loaded quite a few wadcutters in whichever cases were available.

Retired Air Force Msgt--NRA Life Member since 1971
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't understand the logic(?) behind that statement. Like the others, I've used all types of brass in the .38 with no discernible differences in performance. Then again, no one has ever sought my participation in team competition, either, so if it makes a difference, my (lack of) ability would effectively mask it.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the french." (Mark Twain)
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Doesn't make sense. The reason for the cannalure would be to prevent the bullet from seating deeper in the case. Not likely to happen if fire from a revolver. Especially with wadcutters.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you loading for a S&W 52???
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost1958
    Are you loading for a S&W 52???

No S&W 14

There is no pleasure in having nothing to do;the fun is having lots to do and not doing it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dakotashooter2
    Doesn't make sense. The reason for the cannalure would be to prevent the bullet from seating deeper in the case. Not likely to happen if fire from a revolver. Especially with wadcutters.

Yes that is what I read about. from what I remember one of the major manufactures did some tests and found that it can happen in revolvers, and if it did happen the pressures could get as high as 125,000 psi.

• Options
    edited November -1
    heres the post i read.

I do strongly recommend rolling a case cannelure to prevent bullet setback. Research at Remington's ballistic lab during the '70's (subsequent to very rare, but troublingly recurring incidents) proved that if severe bullet setback occurs pressures in excess of 100kpsi can be produced with a standard mid range powder charge (like 2.7 grains of Bullseye). This is why all Remington "mid range" wadcutter factory loads produced since that time feature the cannelure. CH4D offers a reasonably priced cannelure tool that can be easily adapted to perform this task.

• Options
    heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi,

I've never heard of wadcutters requiring a cannalure but that doesn't mean it isn't so. Certainly, the deeper the bullet is seated the more pressure that can be generated. I have read similar articles where reloaders are warned about seating depth. I usually seat my wadcutters to where the case mouth is even with upper crimping groove on the wadcutter.

I am not doubting the veracity of the statement, but are you sure of the units? 100,000 psi sounds excessive for less than 3.0 grains of Bullseye. It would be interesting to have a reference for this article.

Regards,

Heavyiron[8D]

bullitt_county_4199_small.jpg
    "If I don't see you nomore on this world, I'll meet you on the next one, and don't be late!" - Jimi Hendrix