In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Handloading Shotgun Slugs

idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
I can't find the thread where I asked the question so I'll start my own and re-ask it.

Is it possible to handload shotgun slugs? The purpose would be just for the heck of it.....just to load them down to "plinking loads" where I could fire off a hundred or so in a day if I got the itch which would only probably happen once a year or so.

Is it possible? Are there reloading manuals that would cover this? Would I need a special press or would a normal shotshell press work? I've never done any handloading of any kind and I was thinking about getting a shotshell press just for giggles to see if I could handload slugs and then get more into shotshell reloading. My resolution for 2005 is to spend more time with a shotgun this year.

Comments

• Options
    PSFD DONKEYPSFD DONKEY Member Posts: 771 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know if this is much help but my loadbook has a section on loads for shotgun slugs. I know you have to roll crimp them, how you do that I don't know.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. What book do you have?
  • Options
    tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The original post was by firstharmonic......titled.... Anyone cast their own bullets?

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
  • Options
    PSFD DONKEYPSFD DONKEY Member Posts: 771 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The book I have is The Complete Reloading Manual for the 12 Gauge Shotshell it is published by Loadbooks USA, Inc.
  • Options
    allechalleyallechalley Member Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    look in www.cabelas.com reloading stuff. I think Lee has a "kit" to pour your own slugs that fit in a regular Winchester AA or some such silmilar wad and hull. It crimps with the regular star crimp.
    Check www.precisionreloading.com Seems they used to have the roll crimp starters and a few other things for this.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your going to have to trust me on this, you don't want to shoot 100 shells loaded with slugs in one day. It will knock you stupid.

I use to load and shoot slugs years ago. Bought most of my supplies and manuals from an outfit called Ballistic Products in MN. They have a specific manual/loadbook worked up for all kinds of rifled slugs. The also sell the best selection or reloading supplies SPECIFICALLY for shotshells that I have run across. Here is their link, get their free catalog. It has all you need for loading slugs.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/bpi_homepage/homepage.html

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for that link rufe. I can pass that on to some others. Like I said though, for plinking, you don't have to load full power loads. Ours were as light as AA trap loads. Plenty of power for what we were doing without getting beat up. I must add that I do not condone our "by guess and by golly" loading technique. Components should always be matched and compatible. Then, there was the incendiary slug idea. We're not going there...[}:)] Why we survived those years with both eyes and ten fingers, I'll never know....If I had a dollar for every time someone said "Boy, we won't do THAT again...."

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    Your going to have to trust me on this, you don't want to shoot 100 shells loaded with slugs in one day. It will knock you stupid.

I use to load and shoot slugs years ago. Bought most of my supplies and manuals from an outfit called Ballistic Products in MN. They have a specific manual/loadbook worked up for all kinds of rifled slugs. The also sell the best selection or reloading supplies SPECIFICALLY for shotshells that I have run across. Here is their link, get their free catalog. It has all you need for loading slugs.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/bpi_homepage/homepage.html

luger_4.jpg

I figure I could load some that are easy to shoot. I was sighting in some slugs last year and went through about 40-45 3" and 3-1/2" slugs in an afternoon. I was sore the next day but I did it. It's a pleasure pain.