In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

primer pocket

telejojotelejojo Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
I bought a lee loadmaster press and was wondering, the first step it it deprimes and resizes the case and then puts primer in.There is no way to clean primer pocket,is this normal?

Comments

• Options
    Ronald J. SnowRonald J. Snow Member Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is normal when using a progressive loader. That is why I have five single stage presses.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To the best of my knowledge, no progressive press from any manufacturer, no matter how expensive has the ability to clean primer pockets. You will have to do that manually.

This might smack as heresy to the purists, BUT I loaded many thousands of various pistol rounds on semi progressive and progressive presses without cleaning the primer pockets.

In my experience over the years, reloading the same brass many times over, this has caused NO problems.

The only time I ever had to specifically clean primer pockets is when I was reloading black powder rifle cartridges. The residue and fouling from the black powder was extremelly severe.

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    Just a word of advise on the Loadmaster. Keep it clean. No spilled powder, don't let the primer hopper get full, no oil where it doesn't belong, no dust, and read the instructions for all components.

I have loaded many 1000's of rounds on mine and once you get the hang of it it is the finest press I have ever used. It is not nearly as fool proof as a dillon though. No need to clean the primer pockets on pistol ammo, unless there is a seating problem.

My border collie is smarter than your honor student.
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    Also the Loadmasters do not like CCI primers, you will get all kinds of upside down primers and crushed primers. I have great luck with Winchester and federals, but if you use feds, make sure you get the shield for them. I think the corners on the CCI's are too rounded, allowing them to flip over.

My border collie is smarter than your honor student.
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    *Maybe* if I were loading ammo to compete at the pinnacle of national or international handgun shooting, I'd worry about clean primer pockets. This is not 1000 yard stuff where the mantra is "the tiniest variable can affect performance." I've never had a misfire or other problem with handgun ammo due to some char in the pocket. For years I didn't bother to clean the brass at all. I didn't see any improvement when I did so, and the way I clean brass is to de-prime before tumbling so I don't break pins. I won't question other folks experience / practices, but neither will I be doing this.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the french." (Mark Twain)
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Iconoclast
    *Maybe* if I were loading ammo to compete at the pinnacle of national or international handgun shooting, I'd worry about clean primer pockets. This is not 1000 yard stuff where the mantra is "the tiniest variable can affect performance." I've never had a misfire or other problem with handgun ammo due to some char in the pocket. For years I didn't bother to clean the brass at all. I didn't see any improvement when I did so, and the way I clean brass is to de-prime before tumbling so I don't break pins. I won't question other folks experience / practices, but neither will I be doing this.

I will humbly disagree, the primer pocket is everything. I am very * about reloads
    To me, if you strive for the best in reloads, weather it is for target, or hunting the ignition system for a cartridge is key.
    clean primer pockets and deburr flash holes. To me that alone makes for better reloads. [:)]

sniper.gif
    NRA Life Endowment Member
  • Options
    edited November -1
    FrancF, I say with no sarcasm I'm glad you can shoot a handgun well enough to see the difference, because I sure as "snot" cannot - nor never could, even when I could actually see the sights and hold my hands steady. Granted, I never used a Ransom Rest and tested the proposition, but I think my abilities offset any fine details in loading for my handguns. Different levels of expertise, different approaches . . . it makes life interesting.

• Options
    edited November -1
    Icon I misunderstood that you were talking about handgunning. My mistake [B)]

sniper.gif
  • Options
    heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ditto.

I hardly ever clean pistol primer pockets.

If I obtain a new batch of once-fired brass this is usually the only time they are cleaned.

Regards,

Heavyiron[8D]

bullitt_county_4199_small.jpg
    "If I don't see you nomore on this world, I'll meet you on the next one, and don't be late!" - Jimi Hendrix
  • Options
    edited November -1
    FrancF - no need for a black eye! It wasn't clear from the initial post and for some reason I made the A$$umption it was about handgun brass! I do clean the pockets on rifle brass if I'm interested in max accuracy. For plinking with the semi-autos, I don't do it often.

• Options
    edited November -1
    Icon No harm, [:D] I just opened up my yap a little to fast.

sniper.gif