In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reloading for a orig. 30-40 Krag

joeaf1911a1joeaf1911a1 Member Posts: 2,962 ✭✭
Just wondering if the 147 gr. fmj (sptizer pointed) will work through the 1898 Krag action? If so, what LOA is best? Or use some #2 alloy
180 gr. R.N. cast gas checked bullets for good feeding. Sized to .311". I want to keep the C.U.P. down to under SAAMI specs as I know it
is not a strong action. Any help appreciated as I never loaded for the
30-40 before. Also, is factory 30-40 ammo O.K. for this rifle or is it
too hot for it.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Steve on his excellent site, has many loads for the 30-40.

Click on this link.

http://www.again.net/~steve/308_10_150.html

Because of the relative weakness of the Krag action, to the best of my knowledge all commerical ammo and available loading data is based on this fact. There have been few modern rifles with strong actions chambered for the Krag cartridge. The only one that comes to mind was the Ruger #3.

If you have any doubts about your rifle have it inspected, headspaced & test fired by a COMPETENT Gunsmith.

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Joe - DO NOT use spitzer bullets in the Krag. Honestly - with that side magazine - I do not know why it is verboten, but all the loading manuals / conventional wisdom counsel against it. The factory loadings are all weak sisters for the same reason factory loads of .38 WCF or whatever are - the companies *know* the rounds could end up in a weak action (and the Krag really isn't all *that* shabby). Take a serious look at the 311291 RN GC 220gr (nominal) Lyman (I think that's the mold number). I've *never* seen a M98 Krag which didn't shoot that bullet well, regardless of the appearance of the bore. Regardless, stay with the heavy bullets - that's what the rate of twist is calibrated to stabilize.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the french." (Mark Twain)
  • Options
    bundybundy Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was in college and dirt poor my brother gave me some of these he had pulled, I loaded them for my 30-40 using 3031 powder to a velocity of about 2200 fps for a nice mild load. It was fun to shoot, reasonable accurate and they feed just fine through my magazine. I don't know why you should not be able to use them. My .02 cents.