In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Recommendation for 2230-C Powder

rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
I'm on my second 8 pound jug of the stuff. Can't beat it, has a burning rate similar to Varget, little slower then BLC2 & 3031.

Bought my last jug from Natchez for $60. Even with Has-Mat & shipping, it cost less then $100. I'm saving $10 a pound over store bought powder.

luger_4.jpg

Comments

• Options
    old single shotsold single shots Member Posts: 3,594
    edited November -1
    Not familiar with it.Is that an Accurate Arms powder?What calibers do you use it for?
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    That 2230-c works wonders in my 20" 6mm BR, followed by Varget.
    Thats the only cartridge I use it in. It sure is cheap enough, but works very well.

Gun control is hitting what your aiming at.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by old single shots
    Not familiar with it.Is that an Accurate Arms powder?What calibers do you use it for?

Correct, Accurate Arms bulk powder. Slightly slower then AA 2230.

So far I have used it for 7.5 Swiss, 6.5 Swede & 7.62 x 54. Best load I've worked up so far has been with the 6.5, ( big surprise ).

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    and what was that 6.5 swede load if ya don't mind? Thanks

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    and what was that 6.5 swede load if ya don't mind? Thanks

Got Balistics?

I don't believe it's prudent to either give or use specific load data from the internet, as their can be so many variables involved. That said, this is my basic data, work up 1/3 grain at a time using it until your rifles accuracy meets your satisfaction.

1), Stock Swede Long Rifle, Dated 1917, No Scope, Military Open sights, 100 yds from bench.

2), Hornady 100 Grain Soft Points.

3), 3.00 +/- ,005 OAL.

4), Winchester, old White box standard primers.

5), 2 X fired, PMC Brass. ( I don't recommend PMC Brass for 6.5 x 55, Lapua is much better quality )

6), (8) of 10 shot group in 10 ring, (4) of those shots in 1 3/8", all 10 shots in black. I shoot 10 shot groups with the old iron sighted military rifles.

7), 5,000+ Elevation, 60 Degrees.

8), Start with 40 grains of 2230-C, work up with 1/3 grain increments.

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RS,..any data for 120gr pills with that powder? I am working with some 120gr NBT's for hunting loads and that powder price is plenty agreeable.[8D]

I am using a rem700, so I can run higher pressures than the military guns,..but as always, I start low and work up. that way when I hit the majic number,..I have already run a few strings and gotten settled in to the rifle[:D]

Got Balistics?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    RS,..any data for 120gr pills with that powder? I am working with some 120gr NBT's for hunting loads and that powder price is plenty agreeable.[8D]

I am using a rem700, so I can run higher pressures than the military guns,..but as always, I start low and work up. that way when I hit the majic number,..I have already run a few strings and gotten settled in to the rifle[:D]

Got Balistics?

With 120 grainers drop down 3 grains, i.e. 137 grains of 2230-C and work your way up. You know the drill.

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    pipe-docpipe-doc Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Accurate 2230 powder is supposed to be comparable to H-335 and W-748. I have been using it in all of my rifles for at least 20 years. I use it in my 223, 22-250, and 308. With excellent results. It will run through a powder measure with great charge to charge accuracy. I only use extruded powder in the large capacity cases now. Silhouete shooters have been using it for a long time. Started off using it in a 7mm TCU. But then I remember when Sierra used to put 101 bullets in a box, just barely!

Wayne[8D]
  • Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    pipe-doc do you have any loads for the 7mm tcu that you would care to share ?
  • Options
    pipe-docpipe-doc Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Greetings!!
    Sorry for the delay in my reply. I did not realize that it was so long ago that I used to shoot IHMSA. My reloading notes were lost for awhile.
    We used to shoot two different bullet weights. We used 100 grain bullets on the chickens and pigs, and 140 grain bullets on the turkey and rams.
    On the 100 grain bullets, we used Hodgdon H-322 powder, 25.3 grains, Lake City military brass, Federal 205 small rifle primer, cases trimmed to 1.740. We had to experiment with overall length, as the best accuracy was with the bullet just touching the lands.
    On the 140 grain bullets, we used Accurate 2230, 24 grains of powder, Lake City military brass, Federal 205 primer.
    These loads were developed in a Contender 14" pistol. We would index the cases as we shot them, and would then only neck size them. It was a lot of fun.
    Wayne
  • Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    pipe-doc thank you , I will have to give that a try ,,, I just picked up a used 10" barrel in 7mmtcu, I order 100 rounds from Walts Reloading , i had them loaded with 140 gr. pill ,,,,,,, figured it was a good way to get brass and also get a little shooting in while I'm working on getting set up to reload it myself