In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How accurate are powder measures?

shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
Simple question, what are your opinions? Which ones are better and why?

Comments

• Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Providing that you have good powder, not powder that's been damp or anything they are real consistant. I always like to take the time and double check pretty frequently but if you step up to a digital set up, there's not much need to even do that. Might be more money than you want to spend but that's what's nice about the PACT you're not paying extra because it says lyman, or RCBS on it. I like my electronic goodies anyway, but I also have a RCBS powder measurer.

http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/756639

R/

Dave
    th_bigclay.bmp
    People everywhere confuse what they read in newspapers with news.

-- A. J. Liebling
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The type of powder will have a lot of effect . . . the bigger stick IMR types will vary more than ball or flake types. But a quality tool and consistent technique - whatever technique you develop - will deliver very consistent results with, as Dave called it, "good powder." JMHO, but I think by and large you get what you pay for on this equipment. Before there were electronic gizmos, I paid some guy some fairly serious money for his modified RCBS and Redding measures in which he substituted micrometer elements for the standard screw adjustments. I've never had a problem. If you are using a progressive tool with a screw adjustment, it may not be quite as consistent, but for most purposes you'll never see the differences.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the french." (Mark Twain)
  • Options
    ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good measures/powder drops will vary plus or minus .1gn

I have both a PACT system and 2 RCBS mechanical scales. I always cross check.
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I have a Belding and Mull powder measure that does a good job. i don't know if they are still made. They use an adjustable brass tube that the powder is dropped in. You then dump the tube of powder into your case. An old time benchrest shooter covinced me to buy it about 30 years ago.
  • Options
    BittersweatBittersweat Member Posts: 294 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've hade good luck with both Hornaday and Dillon powder measures. When I say luck I mean (+)(-)0.10 gr. max difference using H4831sc, usually no more than (+)(-)0.05 gr. with H335. With flake type pistol powders the difference is too small to show.