In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

primer disposal

Ok, so I f'd up and seated a primer up-side-down. Need to meake it inert so I can remove it. I know I have seen before, but we all know how great the search is here.[}:)] Needs to be soaked in something, but what is that something.

Thanks

SALLY
Committee member-Ducks Unlimited

Comments

• Options
    firstharmonicfirstharmonic Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Easiest solution - spray it heavily with WD 40, wait overnight. Been there, done that.

Noli Illegitimi Carborundum
  • Options
    SnellstromSnellstrom Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any type of oil will make it inert.
    I don't recommend this but I have pressed them out with a standard decapping pin by just pushing "easy" yet firmly until you pop it out, it actually takes a "blow" striking the cup against the anvil to make'em pop.
    Be careful, wear safety glasses, oil it and pop it out.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unless your "solvent" can break down the lacqure seal on the priming compound (most won't) it can't inert the primer. Some will inert it for a little while, but as soon as they dry out there back to full strength.
    Note that there have been improvments in primer sealing in the last few years, older primers were very sensitive to oil/solvent inerting (the lube on your finger could kill a primer).

Press it out slowly with the decapping pin (99/100 you can reuse the primer). Putting one in upside down isn't bad, wait until you get one in sideways [:I]

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • Options
    joeaf1911a1joeaf1911a1 Member Posts: 2,962 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Also wear safety glasses and gloves. Is it really worth it unless you
    have many or a expensive case?
  • Options
    SnellstromSnellstrom Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your right Tailgunner those sideways ones are something to look at! I've had a few of those too. In all honesty I've probably had 5 or 6 upside down and 2 sideways in the last 30 years and I've just pushed them out gently without oil or solvent, and never had a mishap, as recommended by bsally safety glasses are a great idea.
  • Options
    PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As already stated, just ease it out with your depriming stroke on your press but be real easy with it. Please wear safety glasses just in case!! Keep some tissue handy in case it goes off-not really dangerous but really tests the old spinter muscle.
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I left safety glasses out of my previous answer, but I hope I can be forgiven since I couldn't find the bench without my trifocals!

Y, any time you are at the bench, and especially dealing with primers, the glasses are a must. I've never had one go bang when it shouldn't in 35+ years of loading (knock, knock) but I'd sure hate to have it happen in front of a naked eyeball.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the french." (Mark Twain)
  • Options
    ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just punch it out.In about 45yrs of reloading I've never had one go off.Just do it slow and keep your face out of the way. [:)]

Eagle_Guns.gif
    standard.jpg
    standard.jpg
    When a worm wants to relax,does he go fishing?  "And remember a wet dog doesn't fly at night"  "My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be."   ATF,Eagle Guns