In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shot my very first reloads yesterday...

sweaversweaver Member Posts: 973 ✭✭✭✭
still have my hands, eyes, and guns so guess I did a good job. [:D]

shane

sig.jpg

Comments

• Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What did ya load? where you happy with the results? Did you make a few mental notes on good/bad? I know a ton of questions, Sometimes I have to take a note book with me to the range and jot stuff down.

Glad you had a good experince! and It sounds like it was a safe one. [:D]
    truely, thats the bottom line.

sniper.gif
    NRA Life Endowment Member
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, being my very first reloads I went the lowest possible powder load. Heres what I shot:

30 30-30 w/150gr bullet w/29.5gr IMR 3031
    10 .40 cal w/200gr bullet w/7.5gr Accu #7
    20 .40 cal w/165gr bullet with 8.4gr. Accu #7

The 30-30 loads seemed to have less kick than the factory rounds I had on hand.

The heavy bullet seemed to have less recoil than the lighter bullet for some reason. Does that sound right?

shane
  • Options
    ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good job sweaver!
  • Options
    ginmasterginmaster Member Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know how you feel. I felt the same way after I fired my first relaod. It was a .41 Mag load. Good job and good luck with your new obsession.

Good luck out there.
  • Options
    plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    uh oh. Another addict in the making[;)]

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for." -- Will Rogers

My friend is one... who takes me for what I am.
    Henry David Thoreau
  • Options
    knucklehead14knucklehead14 Member Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There`s no "In the making " to it.
    He`s a 100% powder addict already.
    It only takes one time.
    Welcome to the family.

Bad spellers of the world

"UNTIE!"
  • Options
    deadeye46deadeye46 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    congrats sweaver,and welcome to the fine art of reloading.the more you load,the more you'll want to tighten up your groups.it's fun to shoot'em up anyway.keep your powder dry,Bob.
  • Options
    SnellstromSnellstrom Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good job Sweaver!
    This spring it will be 30 years that I've been loading, ( I started when I was 14 years old). Since that time every big game animal I have taken was with one of my own loads. What a feeling, I was hooked from the moment I fired my first handloaded cartridge.
    You are one of the fold.
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the reloading fraternity. I have been loading for 42 years. I started with a Lee loader and a hammer on the kitchen table. Most people get sucked in with the idea that it is cheaper to shoot reloads. This is true and false. I find that I shot a whole lot more. It just cost less per shot. It is the search for the perfect load with the ideal bullet. I enjoy making things that you can't buy. I would recommend that you try AA5 for the 40 S&W, I think AA7 is a little slow burning. Are you shooting these in the Glock that you have pictured?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:I would recommend that you try AA5 for the 40 S&W, I think AA7 is a little slow burning. Are you shooting these in the Glock that you have pictured?

Well, the guy I bought everything said he always suggests AA7 for Glocks because it is slow burning. I dont know the difference at this point so I followed his advice. Can you give me reasons why or why not to use this or AA5?

And yes, reloads are for the Glock picture, Gen. 3 23.

shane
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    The AA5 will usually give a better consistancy of velocity in the shorter length barrels. You will also use less powder and save money as AA7 and AA5 costs the same. I use a lot of AA7 in 10 mm loads. You use slower burning powders in higher velocity cartridges. You need to get several loading manuals so you can compare the various loads with different powders. There is nothing wrong with using AA7 in a 40, it is just not the best choice. You commented on your 200 gr loads had less recoil than the lighter bullets. This is probably because the powder had not completely burned when the bullet left the barrel. It is really good if you have access to a chronograph when developing a load. If you compared the 2 rounds, I believe that you find the speed of the 200 gr to be a good bit less than the 165.
  • Options
    PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the nut group sweaver. As already pinted out, the pressure being developed by a powder is one of the contributing factors in recoil. Slow burning powder usually recoil less because of the slower burning rate. The weight of the bullet also contributes and if the pressure being generated is about the same, the heavier bullet will give more "felt" recoil. If you get a chance to read any of the burn rate charts that also have pressure peak charts it would really help you understand slower verses quicker burning powders. Both have their place but it is the knowing where that place falls that makes a big difference. Anyway, have fun and handloading is just that--fun.
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    sweaver: i'm sure you've heard this before, but i cant resist:

DONT SHOOT RELOADS IN YOUR GLOCK!!!

most(i'd say all but somebody will contradict me) of the documented kb's in glock have been with reloads. even if you stick to the factory loads, it voids your warranty

there, my civic duty to a fellow glock owner done. i can sleep at night again

nremtpatch.jpgFord_E350_ambulance1.jpgEMT1.jpg

Air goes in and out, blood goes round and round, any variation on this is a bad thing.
    Turret mounted machine guns usually work better than lights and sirens