In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What load/bullet do competitors shoot?

sweaversweaver Member Posts: 973 ✭✭✭✭
I've watched some videos of competitive shooters and a few of them are using .40 cals like mine instead of 9mm. When I see them there is little recoil, as they are rapidly shooting. Anyone know what bullet weight/powder load to use for the least recoil/fastest recovery for follow up shots? Right now I have 165gr and 200gr bullets. I saw 130grs for sale but are there any lighter out there?

Thanks,
Shane

sig.jpg

Comments

• richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    135 are the lightest .40s that I have seen. If you ar erefering to competion, are you talking about IPSC, IDPA, Steel, or what? Most competitions require ammo to make a certain "power Factor" which is the mass of the bullet multiplied by the velocity. IPSC/USPSA is currently at 165,000 for major PF. Which would be a 165 bullet at 1000 FPS. I use a 200 at about 850 out of my p-16 para ordnance. A heavier bullet will give less felt recoil at a given power factor, because energy is mass times velocity squared, where they are only using mass times velocity.

My border collie is smarter than your honor student.
  • dg101windg101win Member Posts: 751 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good chance they have a compensator on their pistol also.

Retired Air Force Msgt--NRA Life Member since 1971
  • ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it is IPSC, you are talking about the formula 1 of handgun competition and if it is the unlimited class then theres no telling what they do to keep the recoil down. A lot of them are 38 Super also.
  • BittersweatBittersweat Member Posts: 294 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Right you are, Richbug...At least in Limited competion. A heaver bullet with less powder gives less felt recoil. This remains true until you get a 3-port or better compensator on your barrel. Now you're in the unlimited class, and that compensator works best with a lighter bullet and lots of powder. I believe this is one reason that 9x21mm and .38 Super are so popular in unlimited guns. (It's hard to find 125 gr. bullets in .40) The other reason could be more cartridges in a magazine than .40 or .45. Hope this helps
  • shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
    quote: If it is IPSC, you are talking about the formula 1 of handgun competition and if it is the unlimited class then theres no telling what they do to keep the recoil down. A lot of them are 38 Super also.

i use a hybred comped barrel in .38 super comp.
    10# spring with a shock buff 172 power factor and damn is that gun LOUD

Lt.RRG

"Go over,go under,go around,or go through.But never give up."
  • RadCatRadCat Member Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sweaver-

You are shooting a model 23 Glock, I believe, unless you changed it.

Most shooters (competition) will use a model 22 or (34/35) with a longer barrel to get lower muzzle flip. Quick, accurate second shot placement is most important.

A few years back when the "required" power factor was higher than the present 165, it was necessary to use heavier bullets. Heavier bullets are known to pass on to the shooter more muzzle flip/jump. At the present the favorite (overall as there are many exceptions) loads are using the lighter 180 and 165 grain bullets with faster burning powders like Vihtavuori N320 and Hodgdon Titegroup among others. It is being said that these combinations give the gun a faster, more controllable cycle rate with better control. I used the heavier 200grain bullets in .40S&W with Vihtavuori N340 and it was a great combination. I still use that powder with the 180gr. bullets, but lately I am leaning towards the faster N320 powder as I find it "snapier" and require less of it, transferring to eventual savings, and even better muzzle control.
  • sweaversweaver Member Posts: 973 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm really not looking to compete myself, still learning how to shoot this thing (yes, my 23). I've just seen these guys fire off Glocks with little to no recoil and was curious what they used so I could reload to that spec. Figured I could get better accuracy that way.

thanks for all the input!

shane
  • rogerreloaderrogerreloader Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I SHOOT A GLOCK 35 AND A S&W 610 IN IDPA COMPETITION. I LOAD MY ROUNDS WITH 180gr RAINIER RNFP AND HODGDON CLAYS 3.5gr. THIS GIVES VERY LOW RECOIL AND NO MUZZLE FLASH. IT ALSO MAKES FOR MULTIPAL SHOTS AT A FAST RATE WITHOUT COMING OFF TARGET.