In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Fired First Handloads

NOTPOSTALNOTPOSTAL Member Posts: 311 ✭✭
I hammered out my first 25 rounds on a Lee Loader for my Blackhawk 44 and couldn't be more pleased with the results. First I was pleased that nothing blew up with the first round and second I couldn't believe the accuracy, 5 shot 2 in. group at 20 yds. freehand, way better than I expected.

I was kinda nervous seating primers with a steel rod and hammer so I bought a Lee hand priming tool, otherwise the Loader worked as advertised and you can't argue with the results.

Comments

• Options
    ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    firstharmonicfirstharmonic Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, your're hooked now. Expect to blissfully "feed your habit" for a good many enjoyable years.

Noli Illegitimi Carborundum
  • Options
    yekimakyekimak Member Posts: 257 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    what was the load? Any idea on velocity? Did the cases extract cleanly, any signs of over pressure? I am thinking of going the lee loader route for my .44 because I do not have the space for a press setup yet.

violent-smiley-011.gif-.-.-.we are the all singing, all dancing crap of the world.-.-.-violent-smiley-011.gif
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Funny, That was the very first gun that I had ever reloaded for, for the first time. If you want mild loads you can also use .44 special load data. great for punching paper all day.

Congrats!

sniper.gif
    NRA Life Endowment Member
  • Options
    edited November -1
    yekimak, I used one of the basic starting loads supplied with the loader, 15.0 gr of Blue Dot with 240 gr lead bullet. The calculated velocity on the chart shows 1336 fps. I dont have a chronograph yet so I dont know the true velocity. Recoil seemed a little stouter than the Winchester white box I usually shoot and the accuracy was way beyond what I normally get. The cases practically fell out of the gun so I doubt there was any pressure problems. I don't know if this is the best load on the chart but the small local shop I got the supplies from had a very limited selction.
  • Options
    ThrockmortonThrockmorton Member Posts: 814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ain't it a hoot to shoot ur own loads??
    I started with a LeeLoader many yaers ago,with good relults also.
    Now I have 2 presses and fourty (?) pounds of assorted 'junk' on a bench that could hold a tiger tank.:)

Throckmorton SASS #23149
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well,..so much for disposable income[:p] You are hooked,..now it's dies/brass/bullets/powder/primers etc all because it saves us money[:D][:D][:D][:p][8D]

This hobby is very rewarding,..enjoy[8]

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Between the C&R license and this new hobby I'll be driving the same old truck for a long time.