In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

rifle primers

mustangmustang Member Posts: 615 ✭✭✭✭
I've used Rem. 9 1/2, WLR, and Fed. Gm210M. all w/ the same loads, and I cant tell any differance. Is it just me? I they all seem to work the same.
What do you use???

Warroad.gif

Comments

• Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unless you have a very accurate rifle, you probably won't be able to tell the difference in accuracy (a benchrest shooter that's in the 3's with primer "A" might go to the 1's with primer "B"), but the average guy, with his hunting rifle, won't be able to tell the difference.

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mustang. What are you shooting? Do you chrono your rounds?

I use WLR primers with RE15 in my 308

I use CCIBR2 with Varget.

Federal Match 210s with my 4064.

Primers do make a difference.
  • lcflcflcflcf Member Posts: 172 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I only use the WLR and WLP for my loads and have had very good results, but I'm open to any other suggestions as well, Les
  • mustangmustang Member Posts: 615 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I loaded for 2 diff. rifles. Fired 5 rounds each of the 3 dif. primers in each cal.
    1 is a 22-250 w/ 39gr. H380 50gr. v-max in a Rem 788. all groups were less then 1/2" at 100 yrds.
    The other is a Rem. 700 ss. syn stock 280. W/ 150 gr.Swift Scirocco, H4831sc.
    All groups are very uniform. I couldn't see any differance w/ just changing the primers.

I think Tailgunner is right. I won't be able to tell w/ a hunting rifle.
    So, if it goes "BANG" I'm good to go.[:D]

Warroad.gif
  • ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When you say 5 shots with each primer.

Does that mean 15 rounds total? Same everything except primer?

Did you check velocity? CCIBR2 give me an extra 10FPS with the exact same load.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use fed gold medal for any rifle I want for accuracy work and then win/rem/cci for hunting rifles.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • rimfire72rimfire72 Member Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use Federal Match primers for all my rifles. I figure if its good for target rifles it can't hurt my hunting rifles. The cost difference is only about 3.00 per 1000.

buycoolshirts_1825_31216154.jpg
  • mustangmustang Member Posts: 615 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Contacfront: yes. I shot a total of 15 rounds w/ each rifle.
    All I can test for is accuracy, for I don't have a chronograph.[:(]

Warroad.gif
  • chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    In my hunting rifles I get better Acc. out of winchester primers, CCI Give me vertical stringing. And I have had a few CCI NOT go off. I have Friends that have the same Problems, Maybe we are too close to the north Pole!!!!!!!!!![:0]