In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

New Progressive

dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
This finally came up after 12 years of loading rifle... I am just starting to reload pistol rounds and have been asked for a large volume on a regular basis. This year 6000, and next possibly 12000- 15000.
What press do you suggest? I dont want to attempt this with my rockchucker...

Comments

• Options
    BittersweatBittersweat Member Posts: 294 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    High volume pistol ? The best choice is a the biggest Dillon Press (like the 1050) that you can afford. Everything else will work but the Dillon is the small commercial choice.
  • Options
    ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You don't need the 1050.

The Dillon 650 will work fine. My buddy that loads for a living uses 650s for most of his work.

I do 15K of reloads for 45 and 9mm a year on my cheapy Lee Pro 1000. Cost 150.00 complete. Dillon full progressive setup you looking at an easy 800.00 by the time you are done.

Sure the Dillon is nicer but the Lee progressive will get the job done also. Just takes more time.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I disagree with the previous poster. 6,000 to 15,000 reloads, ( this isn't even considered commerical quanity ) over a years time wouldn't require the top end Dillon "Super 1050" press @ 1,500.00+. It could be easily handled by the RL 550B @ $350.00+.

Don't get me wrong, you'll do it a lot quicker and easier with the top end press, BUT it's probably going to set you back a good $1,000.00 more.

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
    i reload over 5000 pistol rounds a year and i dont know how many .223 all you need is the Dillon RL550B

Lt.RRG

"Go over,go under,go around,or go through.But never give up."
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys. Now to find a Dillon dealer near here. Seems to be just RCBS at the local stores, and Cabelas is just a short drive but still does not carry the dillon line. From what I have read here and other places I am looking at a 650. Just seems to have what I think I want in a progressive. I dont see myself leaving the rockchucker for the rifle rounds.
    Thanks again.
  • Options
    dg101windg101win Member Posts: 751 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can order direct from Dillon.

http://dillonprecision.com/default.cfm?

They have fantastic customer service.

Retired Air Force Msgt--NRA Life Member since 1971
  • Options
    ThrockmortonThrockmorton Member Posts: 814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FYI,I've heard that the 650 is both more expensive and more time consuming to do a caliber change.....shellplates cost more or something like that.
    I also hear there is a case feeder in the offing for the 550b.:)
    If yo're doing this for other shooters,have you considered insurance?

Throckmorton SASS #23149
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info on the change time. I would be insured if these were for anyone but a good close friends, who I know all shoot good quality weapons. I don't think I could get back the cost of insurance on the number that I am planning on. Who knows, if this ends up bigger than what I think, I would have it. I am also looking at doing this through my friends established firearm business. We are still talking about it anyway. Thanks for the heads up.
  • Options
    dg101windg101win Member Posts: 751 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    About the case feeder for the Dillon 550

"It is still in the research stage. Look for pricing and availability in
    late fall."

This is a quote from a Dillon sales manager.
    I received this from them when I emailed them last week.

• Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    I just got a used Dillon RL550b , I can't believe how easy it is to use , sure it took a little time to figure out but compared to my old single stage press , man its a piece of cake

you should take a look at some of the Dillon stuff on e b a y , if you do make sure you read the description really well , some of those guys are showing a fully set up reloader but are just selling the basic unit [xx(] still there are some buys out there you just have to be carefull , if you go that route
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:dg101win

USA
    253 Posts
    Posted - 02/24/2005 : 3:36:58 PM

About the case feeder for the Dillon 550

"It is still in the research stage. Look for pricing and availability in
    late fall."

This is a quote from a Dillon sales manager.
    I received this from them when I emailed them last week.

That's the most exciting thing I've heard all year! Thanks for the update, I know about a month ago someone posted a picture of it here on GB, but I hadn't heard anything else. I'll be first in line to buy one for my 550.

R/

Dave
    th_bigclay.bmp
    People everywhere confuse what they read in newspapers with news.

-- A. J. Liebling