In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Is this bad?

sweaversweaver Member Posts: 973 ✭✭✭✭
I was reloading some .40 this weekend and had the bullet seat a little too deep the first round. I used my bullet puller to slide the bullet out a bit, then put it back in the die after I had adjusted it (the die). I repeated this until I was getting the right length. So the round is the proper length but I never fully removed the bullet, just adjusted it. Does it matter? If you pull a bullet do you have to completely remove it or will what I did work?

thanks,
shane

sig.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You don't need to fully remove it, besides the crimp will hold it in place.

Here's a little time saving trick for you. RCBS dies use a 1/4-20 thread on the seating plug adjuster (don't know what thread LEE uses but it's easy to do the math). 1/tpi=.00x per full turn. 1" divided by 20 threads per inch (RCBS adjuster) means that 1 full turn of the seating adjuster will push the bullet .050" deeper into the case (1/2 turn = .025, 1/4 turn = .013 etc). So, using these numbers, if on the first attempt find the bullet needs to go .125 deeper into the case, simply screw the seater plug in 2 1/2 turns and remeasure (you should be within just a few thousanths of correct).

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • Options
    lcflcflcflcf Member Posts: 172 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did your puller mark or indent the bullet any ?, if it did I think I would just remove the bullet and through it away, Les
  • Options
    sweaversweaver Member Posts: 973 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No marks on the bullet, I have one of those that looks like a hammer. Nothing actually touches the bullet.

thanks for the advice guys!

shane
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Marks on a bullets side's have no effect what so ever on accuracy.
    But put a small scratch on the heel of a bullet and watch the accuracy suffer big time.............
    Pulling a bullet may possibly decrease the tension that it had holding it in the case !

Gun control is hitting what your aiming at.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If anybody doesn't believe what MRBRUCE said, just ask yourself "Where does a boat/ship steer from?" A nick in the heel acts like a rudder. Make a rudder change and you will change direction...quickly.

We have the second amendment so that all the rest are secure....UNK>