In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

RCBS JR3 Press Give Away!

ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
Guys,

I am giving away a RCBS JR3 Press. It is not new and probably older than Ruger270man [:D]

I cleaned it up best I could and it works great. If you are worried bout cosmetics, get a spray can. Other than that it functions like it was brand new. I even polished the ram (sounds funny) with 2200grit sand paper and the press runs smooth!

How to win.

My FIRST ever hunting trip starts next Friday, Feb 25th and ends Sunday afternoon Feb 27th. Will be going after wild piggy.

Whoever gets closest to guessing the size of the pig and what day I harvest the pig on will be the winner. (ie 250lbs on Friday.)

Hints. I never hunted anything before, well shot a pheasant about a week ago.
I will not shoot anything bigger than 250lbs.
I will not shoot anything under 60lbs.
I may get too excited and miss entirely. [:(!]

Good Luck and I hope this helps one of the guys just getting into reloading out.
Press.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Shadow62Shadow62 Member Posts: 828 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i am game.
    weight 177 lbs
    Saturday between 10:am and 2:pm
  • Options
    GB8i8GB8i8 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds fun, good luck on your hunt, you'll get that pig first thing friday between 8 and noon, it's going to weigh about 150-175lbs.
  • Options
    tomh.tomh. Member Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    132 pounds on Saturday at 10:30
    Thanks for the opportunity!
  • Options
    deputydondeputydon Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Neat game. Always wanted to go pig hunting. We expect a full report upon your return. Anyway put me in....

Pig will be killed Saturday.
    Pig will weigh 105#
    Pig will be good eatin!

Good luck -Don

blonds.bmpWhen they pry it from my cold dead fingers.
    Parsons.gif
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice press. She'll make you grunt a little when you turn 30-06 brass into 7.7x58 or 7.92x57 brass, but she'll "get-er-done".
    Pass on the drawing, I'm still using the Jr3 I got (used) back in 73.

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I think this press is that old or older and still going strong. The old timer that gave it to me is 65 now and he has been reloading for over 40 years.
  • Options
    eastwood44mageastwood44mag Member Posts: 2,655 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Friday 129# killed between 1 and 3 PM

O Lord,
    grant me the Serenity
    to accept the things
    I cannot change
    the courage to change the things I can,
    and the supreme firepower to make the difference.
  • Options
    firstharmonicfirstharmonic Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Saturday afternoon, 185 pounds. Good luck and shoot straight.

Noli Illegitimi Carborundum
  • Options
    ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    140 lbs on Saturday.

Thanks buddy

sniper.gifhappy.gifanim_sniper.gif

"I will no longer debate a liberal because I feel they are beneath contempt. Just communicating with one contaminates a person." - whiteclouder
  • Options
    Bill CostikBill Costik Member Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Saturday, `57 pounds, around 11:30. Hope I win, I am trying to get into reloading. Thanks!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bill, did you mean 157?
  • Options
    telejojotelejojo Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    saturday 147lbs good luck///////////
  • Options
    bundybundy Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sunday, Feb 27th , 185 lbs.
    Good luck and good eats.
  • Options
    sweaversweaver Member Posts: 973 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    185lbs on Sunday

shane

sig.jpg
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just maybe this could help me get into reloading a little sooner.

I will say...

Sunday 165 lb
  • Options
    sf340flyersf340flyer Member Posts: 127 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll guess Saturday afternoon & 143lbs. Good Luck!

Free Men do not ask permission to bear arms.
  • Options
    gun_savy2004gun_savy2004 Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i think it will be saturday morning... abd weigh about 125lbs...
  • Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    sunday morning about 11 and about 150lbs
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    112lbs, and DRT at 1:15PM Friday if you hunt a full day,..if not, then 1:15PM on saturday.

Good luck and enjoy the hunt/land.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    Captain 241Captain 241 Member Posts: 377 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry to bust your bubble, but I'm going to say you are going to get SKUNKED (0) [V]

Spring_Arbor.gif
  • Options
    old single shotsold single shots Member Posts: 3,594
    edited November -1
    I don't want to enter the drawing but want to say that is the same press i have been useing for over 30 years.Whoever wins will have one tough press.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I sure hope Captain doesn't win this press. [:D]
  • Options
    gunguy30_06gunguy30_06 Member Posts: 266 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sunday morning
    122 pounds
  • Options
    b00merb00mer Member Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    85lbs
    friday,if you don't miss all together :)

Its really hard to soar with the Eagles, when you are stuck with turkeys!
  • Options
    yekimakyekimak Member Posts: 257 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    124 pounds on saturday

violent-smiley-011.gif-.-.-.we are the all singing, all dancing crap of the world.-.-.-violent-smiley-011.gif
  • Options
    SnellstromSnellstrom Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ContacFront that is very generous of you, the press you are giving away is almost the same as my first, it's still going strong after 30+ years my brother is using it now. Don't put me in for the drawing but I wish you luck on the Hog hunt, shoot one about 100 pounds, should taste just fine.[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Roger that Snell. I was thinking of a pig around that size for eating. Not interested in a monster at all.
  • Options
    lcflcflcflcf Member Posts: 172 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ContacFront, nice offer, I only want to wish you a good hunt, Where are you going to hunt? I say Friday 11 AM 125 lbs. Don't forget squeeze the trigger don't jerk it, Good luck, Les
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Les,

Will be on a private ranch in northern CA. 18000 acres. 80 acre lake and we got a 4 bedroom cabin rented for the weekend. I believe the area is by Sea Ranch. 12 miles from the coast.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    CF,..what do the hunts run in your area of the country? They go for $400-$600 down in the NC/SC/GA/TN area. Been planning on one of them this year myself[;)] Good luck. BTW, what rifle you using?

Got Balistics?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    JustC,

This 3 day hunt is on the house and my buddy that hunts anything from varmits to big game in africa will be guiding me and a friend. I just took care of fuel, food, alcohol, and part of the 4 bedroom cabin we got.

Maybe cost me 250.00 total.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    JustC,

This 3 day hunt is on the house and my buddy that hunts anything from varmits to big game in africa will be guiding me and a friend. I just took care of fuel, food, alcohol, and part of the 4 bedroom cabin we got.

Maybe cost me 250.00 total.

Will be using my 308 Ive been using for Long Range Shooting. Been loaded up with 180gn Nosler Silver Tips.

Thanks and I will take pics to post up.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well boys I am back.

AWESOME 3 days of hunting! Some of the most beautiful country I've ever been in and the company I was with was great. My buddy and I were the only rookies and the rest of the guys have hunted all over the world and have taken game ranging from varmits to dangerous game in Africa. Good learning experience.

I know I gave some hints at the start of this give away and set some guidelines for the pig I was going to shoot and when I was going to shoot it. As you all know, things never do go as planed.

Pig was shot the 2nd hour I was in country, which was Thursday Evening, 5:45pm. We got to the bunk house and was had enough day light left to venture out a few miles from the bunk house to explore, so we did. On the way up to the place I promised my buddy I would let him get the first crack at a big pig if and when we ran into any.

My buddy/guide was hunting the top of the ridge while my buddy and I hunted about 300 yards below him side hilling it. We hear 6 shots go off from my buddy's 44mag and then 3 more after he speed loaded. I get word on COMs that there is a family of pigs headed my way, he shot but didnt hit any, about 15 of them are scrambling down the hill in our direction. 2 minutes later all we hear is snorting and things crashing through the brush. One lil guy runs by and I tell my friend to shoot. He froze. He turns around and sees a 200lb pig standing there 30 yards out broad side to us. I said SHOOT that SOB. I honestly think the guy was so pumped up that we got into pigs that he froze up. He didnt pull the trigger and the pig ran away. I turn around and see another small one running down the hill and had him in my scope 50 yards out in a full dash for cover. I popped him and he was dead before he hit the ground.

180gn Nosler Silver Tips are DEADLY on small pigs at close range for sure. Softball size exit wound. Luckily I nailed him high in the spine area and didn't waste much meat.

Now on to the winner. BILL COSTIK! 57lbs

Well the piggy didn't make 57lbs. [:I]

More like 30 to 40. I got a bunch of crap for popping a small pig but I hear these are the best tasting pigs. So I took him. Didn't realize he was that small. Through my 6X scope at 50 yards he was a monster! Ha!

Ironic thing is, I was the only one that came home with a pig. The next 3 days were DRY. Lots of WALKING, and WALKING, and WALKING, and the terrain was fair to extreme. Fresh tracks and sign every where but no sight of any pigs. So when you read this Bill, please contact me and we will work out shipping.

Thank you everyone for playing. I actually may have another press to give away soon.

JustC: My next hunt I am going on a open plain area. Long range pig hunting. 500 to 600yard shots available. Now I can really test out the rifle.

Lessons learned. Always check your pack to see if your drunk friends loaded you down with rocks. I am use to a heavy pack so I didn't know till the end of the day after I was hurting.

Next rifle I buy to hunt in this type of terrain will be less than 16lbs. [:(!]

Buzzards are the next best thing when there are no pigs to shoot. [}:)]
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    LOL, looks like you had fun.
  • Options
    SnellstromSnellstrom Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Contac sounds like a fun time! Pig is a pig, never worry about the size, how does that little bugger taste? What were you using for a rifle?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Snell,

He is sitting in the freezer now, I am going to BBQ him up this weekend for my buddy's birthday party.

Rifle was my Savage 10FP setup for long range shooting. Its the only thing I have close to a hunting gun. 308 Win. HEAVY and Bulky.

Topped off with a Loopy Mark 4 6-20X, WAY TOO MUCH SCOPE.

I had so much fun I am already planning my next trip. Will post pics soon.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    CF,..where you planning on the next hunt? The NC/SC/GA etc area has a lot of thick and dense woods and swamps to hunt them in,..sounds like a good place for a pistol and a light/short rifle just in case.

Got Balistics?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    JustC,

Probably northern CA by the oregon border almost. My friend has a friend that owns 8000 acres up there with pigs on it. He chargest 100 per pig but it is wide open area type of hunting where long range shots are available. If you don't shoot any pigs, you don't pay and the cabin is free for use.

He also is infested with Coyotes so we were thinking of doing some long range varmit shooting with my setup. I will post pics of the area i was in soon.
  • Options
    Captain 241Captain 241 Member Posts: 377 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm glad you proved me wrong, Congrats on the hunt.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Captain.

You almost won though. If that shot would of gone high or low you would of been the winner. No other pigs were taken this last weekend except for the lil one I got.