In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How much powder??

WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭
My roommate isn't a shooter, he supports guns, knows I own a ton of them and we've never had any problem with it. I had some stuff show up from dillon in the mail and he started asking me some basic reloading questions. I took him out to the garage and started showing him a few things, we made a 12 gauge shell, ect. He was completely shocked that I had around 15lbs of gunpowder in storage (locked up in steel containers) out there. How much gunpowder do you keep around the house? I think 15lbs is actually a little less than I'd like to have around, but until the gunstore gets more in, that's all I have for now.

R/

Dave
th_bigclay.bmp
People everywhere confuse what they read in newspapers with news.

-- A. J. Liebling

Comments

• Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    About 8 or nine pounds (in the one pound containers) Mostly differant flavors. When I was Vaminting alot a few years back, I bet I had at least 20 lbs of H380 at any given time.

snipersmilie.gif
    NRA Life Endowment Member
  • Options
    rimfire72rimfire72 Member Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It varies. Anywhere from 10-20lbs at any given time. Sometimes more if I find a good deal.

buycoolshirts_1825_31216154.jpg
  • Options
    ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Storing powder in locked steel containers have just turned those kegs into one big frag if a fire were to break out. Just a thought. I keep a fair amount of powder around.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    I keep close to 30# of powder in each of two NYS state approved steel, lockable, movable, and fire proof magazines.
    Also a bunch in the loading room under the bench........

Gun control is hitting what your aiming at.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    At the moment? About 12 pounds of smokeless and 3 of blackpowder.

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    SHHHHHHHHHHH. The Fire Marshall may be listening.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    8 lb. kegs are like toadstools after a rain in my house, I keep getting great deals on new powder with wrinkled/torn labels that Charlie thinks no one will buy! F'r instance; the last 2 I bought (Saturday) were Reloder22 for only $75!

"Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit" --OVID
  • Options
    eastwood44mageastwood44mag Member Posts: 2,655 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Assuming that I hadn't reloaded any shells from my current supplies:

8 lbs. Universal
    4 lbs. TiteWad
    1 lb. each Long Shot, H110, Pyrodex, Triple 7

and of coure all my loaded ammunition. But around 16 pounds of loose powder, a few thousand rounds, and several thousand primers. If the house catches fire, we'll all be screwed.

O Lord,
    grant me the Serenity
    to accept the things
    I cannot change
    the courage to change the things I can,
    and the supreme firepower to make the difference.
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hmmmm . . . I won't (and could not, because I've not taken any inventory for years) say *exactly* how much powder I have, but I'm sure my landlord and the fire marshal would have heart attacks; I'm sure it is *several* multiples of 15 pounds. When I had my custom loading business, I only bought powder in 8 to 20 pound containers . . . unless I walked into some place where someone wanted to sell off some NOS for pennies on the dollar. Today, I'm *real* glad I did - this was before the HazMat BS and I doubt I paid more than $4 a pound. I know I have some powders I may never load, but for $1 or so a pound, I should care? I had to buy some powder at current market prices last year and I about blanking choked. Used to be I could load magnum handgun ammo (admittedly casting my own bullets from scrounged alloy) for less than a box of .22 LR. This BS of $15+ powder really sucks. I hate to think what it will cost when I run through my stash of primers, too. I've gotten *real* spoiled loading ammo for around $0.02 - $0.03 a round!

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the french." (Mark Twain)