In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

--IMR 4895

James AyersJames Ayers Member Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
Yo shooters, anybody have any experience with this powder in the .223 cal 52/55/62 gr bullets in a BOLT ACTION--(mines a REM 700 BDL-bull bbl and Leo 12x scope), I've had good luck with the IMR 4198 and now will try some 4895-I'd like to hear your pros/cons--thanx[:)][:)][:D] JIMBO

On your mark-get set- go away!!

Comments

• Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I use IMR 4895 a good bit in AR-15 with good results and in a 10" Contender. I don't have a bolt action 223. I load 25 gr in military brass with a 55 gr bullet.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most of my loads for .223 are using 4895. One load I did well with was the 70 Berger with 25 gr. of 4895. I had to push them hard or they would not stabilize in my 1-9" twist, though. The other load I do well with is Sierra 60 gr. I use 26 gr. 0f 4895. That is actually the most accurate load I use. -good luck

We have the second amendment so that all the rest are secure....UNK>
  • Options
    edited November -1
    [8D]Thanx guys, I've never used 4895 in my .22/.25 cal's so I might as well try it. My 700 BDL has a 1 in 10 twist and my first range tests are loads from 23.9 to 25.1 grs of IMR 4895, if it looks ok I'll go on up to 26 gr plateau, oh and thats with 55 gr FMJBT-I've got some Varget and Benchrest powder coming so it'll be fun then on to my ,243[:)][:p][:p][:D] JIMBO

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I liked the way 4895 shot in my .223 [:)] I did nto like having the measure every charge due to it being a stick powder. [V]
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost1958
    I liked the way 4895 shot in my .223 [:)] I did nto like having the measure every charge due to it being a stick powder. [V]

Ya got check into a Pact electronic measure. I know the frustration, the new mesures take that part away. The Auto trickel is heaven!!!!![:)][:p]

sniper.gif
    NRA Life Endowment Member
  • Options
    edited November -1
    [8D]Yo FrancF thats exactly what I use-a PACT and I keep it in my computer room, so it never see's more than 5* vary, not only is it fast, but it keeps all loads-CONSISTENT- which is where it's at.I guess thats one of the attractions to reloading-to try to make every set of cart's as exact as you can make-which is also the requirement for benchrest accuracy.[:)][:p][:)][:D] JIMBO

• Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    My experience is that with stick powders, hell with any powders, weight is not as important as volume. Now with ball powders, the same volume is generally the same weight. With extruded rifle powders, if I just throw for volume and don't weigh for each charge, I don't see any realistic difference, perhaps if you're a serious bench rest shooter you may.

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    In my 223 I Use VARGET, Very Acc.[:)][:)]
  • Options
    hardtymshardtyms Member Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    one word VARGET

Load on Sunday shoot all week!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    [8D]For those of you that can't READ-I asked about IMR 4895 and I got (some) very appropo answers -thanx shooters[xx(][xx(][:)][:D] JIMBO