In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

are new powders better?

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
it seems that manufacturers have come up with new powders about every year or so. Considering the fact that we have had bullseye on the fast side up to H870 or IMR7828 on the slow side do we need another powder?

Are flame temperatures and blast erosion reduced with the new powders? Are the pressure curves more stable? Is it easier for the manufacturers to maintain lot to lot consistently? What does Varget do that 3031 or BLC-2 does not do. Is Clays better that unique for some reason?

Any input or opinions are appreciated.

Comments

• WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The terms "better", and "need", are probably relative to your objectives (goal) when it comes to reloading. Keep in mind no two rifles, or handguns will shoot the same, no matter how small the difference there will still be a difference. So since many of us out there are always looking for the perfect load for each gun we own, it bennefits both the industry and the reloader to have as many options as possible. The industry makes money, and the it is up to the shooter to find that perfect load. I love the free market.

R/

Dave
    th_bigclay.bmp
    People everywhere confuse what they read in newspapers with news.

-- A. J. Liebling
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go Dave!

I load about ten different powders for 17 different bullet weights in 10 different calibers in 14 different rifles. Having the variation to make each of those work is necessary. Without further research and development some of those calibers would remain stagnant. I too love the free market.

We have the second amendment so that all the rest are secure....UNK>
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    case volumne vs bullet weight will always create a need for the change in burn rates. The optimium powder and bullet recipe takes quite a bit of time to determine. Twist rate changes, barrel lengths, etc all create the niche for powders and burn rates. H870 was a good powder,..but Retumbo and RL25 are more stabil and have coatings that allow far less fouling and therefore less throat erosion from residue. Ball powders meter well,..but the retardent coatings on the stick powders make for a more efficient burn IMHO.

One can only experiment until he finds what his gun wants. I have from N110 all the way up to H870. If there is a recipe,..I will find it.[:)]

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I think the burn rate spectrum has been pretty well covreed for several years- what's being gained now are developments in the areas of cleaner burning, wider latitude of pressures with consistant pressures (from shot to shot), and more uniform burning at a given pressure form shot to shot. So will the newer powders allow higher velocities? Probably only on the margin. Will they allow for more accurate loads? I think so. Will they allow someone to load cast bullets at lower pressure, and still get uniform burning/pressures? Probably with more powders than just the standby SR 4759. So there are niches and uses that are still being filled by "newer" powders.
  • chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    I think the new powder Co. Made our American powder Co clean up their act's. I use clays in my 12 ga loads and in my 45acp load's Very clean. and look what they did with the Unique, It's cleaner burning. Also I like the fact that they are more stable with Temp changes. I have some 300 Win Mag loads that are fine in the winter time (When I go Hunting ) But to shoot in the summer time they are to hot. I would change it but the Rifle loves that load.[:p]
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:I have some 300 Win Mag loads that are fine in the winter time (When I go Hunting ) But to shoot in the summer time they are to hot. I would change it but the Rifle loves that load.

RL22 by any chance[?][:D]

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:I have some 300 Win Mag loads that are fine in the winter time (When I go Hunting ) But to shoot in the summer time they are to hot.

Or H380[?][:D]

sniper.gif
    NRA Life Endowment Member
  • chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    Sorry guy's I have been gone for a while.

The Powder is IMR 4831 Bullet is 180gr Speer's ( go Figgure )