In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Cleaning brass question, How?

kissgoodnightkissgoodnight Member Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭
I do not have a tumbler or vibrating brass cleaner. I was wondering what would be wrong with putting the brass in a bag and running the bag thru the washing machine and dryer. This may be a stupid question so, take it easy with a new to reloading person.

Comments

• sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    G'night,

I use a much simpler method. I spray the cases with lymans sizing lube, let it sit an hour or so then wipe cases as I size. I take a q-tip to the inside of each neck after I've brush lubed them. The carbon emulsifies and wipes right off. I don't do any other cleaning.

We have the second amendment so that all the rest are secure....UNK>
  • knucklehead14knucklehead14 Member Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are a lot of different ways to clean brass, The tumblers are very reasonable when on sale or bought 2nd hand, and boy they sure cut out a lot of work.

Bad spellers of the world

"UNTIE!"
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kissgoodnight
    I do not have a tumbler or vibrating brass cleaner. I was wondering what would be wrong with putting the brass in a bag and running the bag thru the washing machine and dryer. This may be a stupid question so, take it easy with a new to reloading person.

Not a good idea-[:D]
    Get a tumbler, otherwise you will have green laundry.
    [:I] Seriously tumblers get all the nooks and cranny's for cleaning. Corncob with some brass cleaner will give you a mirror polish if you run it long enough.

sniper.gif
    NRA Life Endowment Member
  • ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can get a Frankford Tumbler new for like 50 bucks. Mine has lasted me years and survived some heavy abuse.
  • kissgoodnightkissgoodnight Member Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK you have convinced me. I will buy a tumbler.
    Now, which one? Is there a brand that is better than others?
  • dano1dano1 Member Posts: 322 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got a Frankford Arsenal for $39.99 - it works great. A guy told me once to use a vinegar bath also if you dont want to buy a tumbler.
  • knucklehead14knucklehead14 Member Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I could be wrong but I don`t think there is much difference in one brand or another with tumblers. I would buy whatever my budget affords.

Bad spellers of the world

"UNTIE!"
  • James AyersJames Ayers Member Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [:D][8D]I polish brass, the only reason to clean brass is to save the DIES and thats it.[:)][:)][:p]

On your mark-get set- go away!!
  • rimfire72rimfire72 Member Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you don't want to use a tumbler you can try the liquid cleaner from Iosso. You just soak the brass for a few minutes and rinse with hot water. Works pretty well. I got mine in a kit from Sinclair. It comes with the cleaner,a pail,and a mesh bag. I usually use this first and then tumble the brass,but you can just use the liquid and it works fine. Using both makes the brass look factory new. sinclairintl.com

buycoolshirts_1825_31216154.jpg
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dano1:
    A guy told me once to use a vinegar bath also if you dont want to buy a tumbler.

Ixnay on that idea. Vinegar is a dilute acid and will weaken the brass over time. It also tends to turn the brass pink. I use dilute vinegar - carefully - to remove corrosion on valuable collector cartridges. You do *not* want to use it on shooting brass.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the french." (Mark Twain)