In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

New question on reloading - Powder??

kissgoodnightkissgoodnight Member Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭
I just returned from the range and I was shooting loads I bought at the gun show. My guns got so dirty I had trouble extracting rounds and then trouble putting new rounds in the dirty chambers.
I was planning on using TightGroup powder.
Is this a clean powder?
Is there a better powder?
Suggestions are appriciated.
Thanks..

Comments

• Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Was the ammo reloaded or Mil ammo?
    What cal. are you shooting?

Had to ask, this might narrow down a few things. [:)]

sniper.gif
    NRA Life Endowment Member
  • Options
    James AyersJames Ayers Member Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yo Kiss, we need ,caliber , case size , primer, BBl length,Bullet size, etc etc etc, there are to many variables in your question.You need to be more specific.[?][?][?][?][?][?][:D]

On your mark-get set- go away!!
  • Options
    kissgoodnightkissgoodnight Member Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry, I am shooting 45 long colt for cowboy action shooting.
    This is pretty weak loaded ammo. Lead only.
    I am getting set to reload. The lead ammo I bought at the gunshow was very dirty and I had function trouble after about 75 shots.
    I would like to load a cleaner pistol powder. I will also be shooting 45 long colt rifle. There were no problems with the rifle but all the pistols, mine and my wifes, began to have clogged chambers and we had trouble getting cartriges in and empties out of the cylinders.
    I was told Tightgroup powder is good but I don't know if it is clean.
    How is it for 45 LC?
    Is there a cleaner or better powder?
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    Try Solo 1000. Even at very low pressures it is extremely clean in my past experience. I suspect the bullets may be your problem rather than the powder. Too soft of an alloy can make a mess in a hurry. Were your barrels leaded?

My border collie is smarter than your honor student.
  • Options
    RadCatRadCat Member Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by richbug
    Try Solo 1000. Even at very low pressures it is extremely clean in my past experience. I suspect the bullets may be your problem rather than the powder. Too soft of an alloy can make a mess in a hurry. Were your barrels leaded?

My border collie is smarter than your honor student.

Howdy, pardner, "Yeeha!" Glad you are shooting CAS. I wish I could do it more often myself. (Major C O Jones, indian fighter, lately with the Texas Rangers!)

Anyway, shooting lead bullets, which are usually soft and "lubed" will allways create a lot of smoke and will be somewhat dirty. "It's the nature of this beast."

I follow the manual (obtained for free from manufacturer) for Vihtavuori Powders which is generally regarded as the "cleanest" powder available.

You did not mention what bullet weigths you were loading. But usually Vihtavuori N320 will provide consistent results, with great accuracy. According to the "manual": 200gr. lead RN bullets with 6.8gr. of N320 will provide 848fps. And 250gr. lead RN bullets with 5.6gr. of N320 will provide 751fps. This was calibrated in a six inches barrel.

I personally have used these loads. My favorite loads are with the 200gr. "Meister Bullets" available from Midway and others.

And, oh yeah. They still smoke some. (You should try it sometime with "one" 30gr. Pyrodex Pistol "pellet", talk about some real smoke, pardner!!!!) Have fun. [:D][:D][:D][8D][8D]

JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Vihtavouri is some of the cleanest powder I have used in ANY caliber.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Titegroup is the only powder I use in my 9mm and 45ACP. Very clean burning powder, low charge with great velocity.