In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Precision Bullets Back in Production

rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
I can heartily recommend these bullets, specially if you want to shoot lead bullets in Glocks. They are coated with plastic and won't lead-up the factory Glock barrels. They were down for a good part of last year revising there manufacturing process from casting to swageing.

http://www.precisionbullets.com/

luger_4.jpg

Comments

• RadCatRadCat Member Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    I can heartily recommend these bullets, specially if you want to shoot lead bullets in Glocks. They are coated with plastic and won't lead-up the factory Glock barrels. They were down for a good part of last year revising there manufacturing process from casting to swageing.

http://www.precisionbullets.com/

luger_4.jpg

These bullets remind me of the original Smith & Wesson "Nyclad" bullets.

I just printed their product and price list and will give them a call.

While affordable, once you add the shipping costs, it won't that cheap.

But I will try them anyway. The original plastic coated Nyclads used to give adequate accuracy, but they were especially great in their muzzle velocity, which was considerably higher than anything in similar load or bullet weight.

I do wonder about "plastic" fouling of the barrel. Have you fired enough of these bullets already to know if they do? If so, what's the recommendation for cleaning?

edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RadCat

I do wonder about "plastic" fouling of the barrel. Have you fired enough of these bullets already to know if they do? If so, what's the recommendation for cleaning?
    (RadCat)

I use Blue Wonder and a Bronze Brush for cleaning all my guns, never had any kind of a fouling problem.

luger_4.jpg
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Glock seemed to tumble the lead bullets due to lack of engraving force in the factory barrel. Plastic would seem to be softer than lead, how could it engage the "shapes" (not rifling) in a glock barrel better than hard cast lead?

Are they accurate??
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost1958
    My Glock seemed to tumble the lead bullets due to lack of engraving force in the factory barrel. Plastic would seem to be softer than lead, how could it engage the "shapes" (not rifling) in a glock barrel better than hard cast lead?

Are they accurate??

I shoot these bullets exclusively in a G 20, ( factory barrel ) with excellent accuracy. It's been my experience with the Glock over the years, that theirs a velocity threshold,i.e. if you try to drive lead or plated bullets over a certain velocity, the accuracy falls apart.

Don't know what caliber Glock your shooting? But my 2 cents is to keep the velocity down below 900 FPS if your shooting bullets cast out of scrap lead, and below 1100 FPS if your shooting plated or lazercast bulets.

luger_4.jpg
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost1958

Are they accurate??

I shoot these bullets exclusively in a G 20, ( factory barrel ) with excellent accuracy. It's been my experience with the Glock over the years, that theirs a velocity threshold,i.e. if you try to drive lead or plated bullets over a certain velocity, the accuracy falls apart.

Don't know what caliber Glock your shooting? But my 2 cents is to keep the velocity down below 900 FPS if your shooting bullets cast out of scrap lead, and ibelow 1100 FPSf your shooting plated or lazercast bulets.
    luger_4.jpg

Well, I certainly hope that if you shoot these bullets in guns other than Glocks (glocks propietary rifling anyway) at speeds a lot higher, that they will stabilize and be accurate.

I used the link you provided above, and explored about including articles by "Neal Knox" regarding these bullets. Impressive enough, I would say.

Precision bullets rate their bullets accurate and stable at speeds over 2000fps. I have no intention of pushing them that fast. 1400 to 1500fps would be enough for my purposes. (9mm. Major for Open Class IPSC)

I am concerned though about the manufacturers ability to deliver their products in sufficient numbers on demand. A few days ago, after you started this thread, my curiosity was peaked and I placed an initial order for a thousand bullets in 115gr in 9mm. My credit card was charged and an e-mail was generated confirming the order, so far as expected. Today I received an e-mail from Precision Bullets advising me that "this week they are PROCESSING the 9mm bullets and that sometime "NEXT" week they will be shipping them, at which time they will send me an e-mail advising me of it... I guess if you are in a hury for bullets, this not the place for it. I also tried to contact them by telephone, and all I got after several tries was their answering machine, every time, requesting that I sent a "fax".

I am concerned because "if" these bullets perform as I hope they do, myself along with quite a few other people I know will want to use them, and normally we order around five to ten thousand bullets "each one", and do it quite often. We hate it a lot when we are running low in our "pet loads materials", including powder and bullets. Some of you guys that shoot IPSC understand what I'm talking about...

I hope that I don't sound as if ranting and raving, as probably this is just a "fluke" and won't happen again. Just this once?

How about it "RUFE-SNOW"? Is it just my nerves?

edited November -1

The only thing I can tell you is when I spoke to the owner on the phone last week, he told me that he was "back in production", and struggling to keep up with demand. His bullets are excellent in my opinion. Being he has been down so long changing his manufacturing process,( 8 months ) he has a tremendous backlog of people wanting his bullets. The bullets I normally get from him, ( 40 Cal. 220 Grain ), are not available because of this, and it has me all bummed out. Hopefully he will make a run of them in the near future though.

luger_4.jpg
    edited November -1

The only thing I can tell you is when I spoke to the owner on the phone last week, he told me that he was "back in production", and struggling to keep up with demand. His bullets are excellent in my opinion. Being he has been down so long changing his manufacturing process,( 8 months ) he has a tremendous backlog of people wanting his bullets. The bullets I normally get from him, ( 40 Cal. 220 Grain ), are not available because of this, and it has me all bummed out. Hopefully he will make a run of them in the near future though.

luger_4.jpg

Rufe-Snow. Thank you for calming my nerves. I will give Precision Bullets credit and an A+ for effort. If I had left a message he (Dave) would have probably called me. As it is, he took the time to send me an e-mail keeping me informed, and that was nice. He must be truly busy keeping up with production. It takes time and a lot of effort for any manufacturing operation to really get going. Hopefully he won't be mired in with problems that will shut him down for another eight months, as many people would be "bummed out" as you are with the lack of your "favorite" bullet. That can be a problem, when you depend on something "unique" from just one source.

I see you are using the .40 S&W 220gr. bullets. You must be an IPSC Limited Class shooter. I shoot limited very often too, also with .40 S&W. A friend of mine tried using the 220 gr. bullets some time ago when the power factor was up at 175, but found that somehow the bullets were "tumbling" on him, in his STI five inches barrel. Have you experienced anything like this? Personally I was using the 200gr. Berry's and Rainier bullets with Vihtavuori N340 powder and they worked very well and predictable. Made the 175 power factor with no problem. As the factor came down, some people just lowered the powder charge a little bit and stayed with the same bullets. Others went to lighter bullets. I have been shooting the 180gr and 165 gr bullets instead using mostly Vihtavuori N320 and Hodgdon's Titegroup. The 165's with the Titegroup seem to be the most popular combination going on now. Fast cycling and snappy, bringing you right back on target. It is also a more economical combo as lighter bullets cost less and Titegroup is inexpensive and uses small charges, making it even cheaper to shoot in quantity.

Please, tell me about your experience with the 220 bullets. I'd like to hear, if you don't mind sharing your experience/information. (or maybe you would like to start a new/different thread about this?)

edited November -1

I see you are using the .40 S&W 220gr. bullets. You must be an IPSC Limited Class shooter. I shoot limited very often too, also with .40 S&W. A friend of mine tried using the 220 gr. bullets some time ago when the power factor was up at 175, but found that somehow the bullets were "tumbling" on him, in his STI five inches barrel. Have you experienced anything like this? Personally I was using the 200gr. Berry's and Rainier bullets with Vihtavuori N340 powder and they worked very well and predictable. Made the 175 power factor with no problem. As the factor came down, some people just lowered the powder charge a little bit and stayed with the same bullets. Others went to lighter bullets. I have been shooting the 180gr and 165 gr bullets instead using mostly Vihtavuori N320 and Hodgdon's Titegroup. The 165's with the Titegroup seem to be the most popular combination going on now. Fast cycling and snappy, bringing you right back on target. It is also a more economical combo as lighter bullets cost less and Titegroup is inexpensive and uses small charges, making it even cheaper to shoot in quantity.

Please, tell me about your experience with the 220 bullets. I'd like to hear, if you don't mind sharing your experience/information. (or maybe you would like to start a new/different thread about this?)

I'm not a IPSC shooter at all. I just use them for "Low Impulse" target loads at 25 yds. I've found because the generous chamber dimensions of the G 20 Glock. It possible to load bullets "BACKWARDS" as "WADCUTTERS". It sounds crazy, but it feeds fine in my 1998 vintage G 20. I've did a lot of experimentation with jacketed, plated and plastic coated bullets of various kinds and weights. It will always work as long as your overall length is right at 1.155. I put heavy duty Wolff magazine springs in my ten rounders to get them to feed reliabily but my 15 rounder fed with the standard spring.

When I first started loading these "WADCUTTERS" I used AA 9 powder for safety reasons, as so much of the combustion chamber has been taken up with the bullets loaded "BACKWARDS". Lately I've started using minuet quanties of AA 2 powder with very positive results.

The only load I cronographed so far as been with the precision 220 Grain bullets, and AA9 Powder.

1st shot. 752 Fps.
    2nd " 748 "
    3rd " 742 "
    4th " 750 "
    5th " 767 "

Adverage Velocity was 752 Fps, I get excellent accuracy with this load at 25 yds.

luger_4.jpg
    edited November -1
    Yes, an average speed around 750fps seems to be the magic number for bulls-eye shooting at twenty five yards. Very predictable and consistent. You do not need the quick cycling and snapiness of the lighter/faster bullets. I too enjoy relaxing with bulls-eye shooting, and allways mix it with my high speed shooting practice. In many of the recent IPSC matches I do with a local Club they enjoy mixing the distances we shoot at, and very often find myself shooting at three, ten, twenty five and fifty yards in the same stage.

I just checked at Precision Bullets web-site and I don't see the 220 grainer (.40) bullets listed. I assume they are also "round nose flat top". I have done some of your reversed bullet loadind for cookie cutter wadcutter effect. It works very well, but I mostly have done it in .45ACP with the 225gr "short nose" reversed semi-wadcutters. If your gun has a properly "throated" barrel, usually you can feed "case length" wadcutter loads, with no problem.

The real advantage seems to be the reduced/eliminated smoke and hazzard of breathing vaporized lead by shooting these Precision Bullets.

I think they may be legal for use in another one of my "love affairs": Cowboy Action Shooting. I will check and see. I will miss the usual expected smoke, but I could allways load them with Pyrodex or a "dirty/smokey" powder like Unique...