In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

22-250 H414

bperdue21bperdue21 Member Posts: 1,457 ✭✭
I was looking at some reloading data for the 22-250 and the Hodgdon 414 powder can get the 55 grain V-max bullets up to near 3700 fps with maximum load. i went and talked to my powder guy and he said most 22-250's don't shoot well over about 3400 fps and not to waste my money trying. so is this true or should i try it anyways and hope my gun, a remington 700 varmint special bdl, shoots them well at this speed?

When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

Comments

• Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    I sure hope none of my 22/250 Ackleys ever find out they won't shoot well over 3400 fps.
    The only way for sure is to try it out with your rifle.
    One of mine shoots 40gr BT's so fast I don't want to think about how bad it's not supposed to shoot[:D]

Gun control is hitting what your aiming at.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:i went and talked to my powder guy and he said most 22-250's don't shoot well over about 3400 fps and not to waste my money trying.

I think what your guy is trying to tell you that type of bullet V-max is better suited around 3500 fps or less beacuse of the thin jacket. They tend to start comming apart at about 3650+.

You will be happy with H380 as well.

quote:One of mine shoots 40gr BT's so fast I don't want to think about how bad it's not supposed to shoot

Same[:D]

sniper.gif
    NRA Life Endowment Member

Soquel.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I use the H380 now. i appreciate knowing what he was talking about with the V-max's.

• Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Think ya got the picture, myself, I would love to push a V-max out of my 40x at 3800 but I know the bullets going to vaporise @ about 10 yards past the barrel at that speed. Been there, done that, got the tee shirt.

Might try the A-max!

sniper.gif
    NRA Life Endowment Member

Soquel.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    what about some sierra match kings?

• Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    even a 40gr NBT will survive 4100+fps,..at least they do out of my 220swift. They tend to like 3800fps range, at least the 22-250's I have seen.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?