In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reloads for 7mm-08????????

I have a 700 BDL Remington in 7mm-08 that I am going to work up a load fer, does anybody have a good load fer that Cal?? I am going to start out with 140gr bullets and Varget powder. Whata you think???

Comments

• Options
    steve4102steve4102 Member Posts: 186 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my hunting camp there are 4 7MM-08s. Three Browning A-Bolts a one Savage. The A-Bolts all like Varget the best with 140 Partitions, the Savage takes a liking to Ramshot BigGame with 140s. Varget is a very good choice.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you ever thought abut using Hornady 120 gr. V-max or Nosler 120 Ballistic tip? Both have excellent ballistic coefficients and produce 3050-3100 fps in front of 42 grs. of 4895. There is plenty of energy to kill a deer within 400 yds. 4350 (48.5 grs.) gives good accuracy too. I just prefer the lighter bullets in the lighter 7mm cases.
    As usual, work up to these loads in your rifle. variances in your rifle may dictate you stop before pressure gets too high. -Good luck

We have the second amendment so that all the rest are secure....UNK>
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    Thanks a lot guy's[:D][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Not to many people reload for the 7mm-08 to bad, I think it's a great caliber.
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I worked up a load for a Steyr Pro Hunter in 7-08.Found IMR-4064 and 140 grain ballistics grouped best at just under 2600 fps.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RL15, Varget

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Went to the range yeasterday with a hole gob of 7mm08 reloaded with Varget, and 140gr hornady slugs, Acc was nothing to write home about, so much for Varget.[:(][:(]
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Chuck,

How was the velocity of the round...if you chrono them? Some of my pet loads are not only for accuracy but for reasonable accuracy with a given velocity, i.e. hunting loads. I want all the performance I can get with a given accuracy that will drop into the kill zone out to X yards.
    If the rounds produced 2" @ 100 yds. and you got the 2900 fps potential, that would still give you maximum zero impact range of 300 yds. Point of aim, point of impact in kill zone.
    I have generally found that that case likes slower powders. I used to load 44 grs. of 4831 in 85 in .243, and I've loaded 51 grs. of 4831 behind 155 Palmas in .308. Just a suggestion, try a slow powder behind a light bullet and use a magnum and non magnum primer and see how the rifle shoots with each. -Good luck

We have the second amendment so that all the rest are secure....UNK>
  • Options
    steve4102steve4102 Member Posts: 186 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Savage also shoots very well with 140 Partitions and H414. 2888fps and 1 inch groups. Went with BigGame as it is my 13 yr old son's deer rifle and the 414 was a bit heavy in the recoil dept.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Losded up some 3031 with the 140gr bullets, going to the range monday or tuseday to try, Also Put a little more presure on the forearm. I know we are not suppost to do but one thing at a time, But if it works I dont care what the problem was.