In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

nickle or brass?

telejojotelejojo Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
whats better to reload and last longer?

Comments

• Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a matter of personal opinion, and the nickle is only a thin plating over a brass case (the origional purpose was to resist corrosion due to contact with leather belt loops).
    I've used both, and find that nickle RIFLE cases are slightly harder to work with (nodules on the inside of the neck), but other than that I have no troubles.
    On Pistol brass, I find the life of both to be about equil, with nickle haveing a tendency to split at the mouth 1-2 loadings sooner, 've also had brass split on the 2nd loading, so there is no hard and fast rule.

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    I think brass last longer but I use both , I try to use nickle cases for my hotter hunting loads just because its easy to tell with a look what I have
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    In pistol cartridges, the brass will out last the nickle. Nickle will crack quicker.
  • Options
    ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nickel is harder on rifle dies than brass.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will add a question to this.

Does the nickel cases stretch less then brass cases?
  • Options
    shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
    brass
    the nickel will hide cracks in the brass and is brittle

Lt.RRG

"Go over,go under,go around,or go through.But never give up."
  • Options
    heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For all practical purposes, I don't think it makes a bit of difference. Like Tailgunner said the nickel is just plated on the exterior to prevent corrosion while in a duty belt.

Regards,

Heavyiron

bullitt_county_4199_small.jpg
    "If I don't see you nomore on this world, I'll meet you on the next one, and don't be late!" - Jimi Hendrix
  • Options
    Hunter375Hunter375 Member Posts: 612 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Brass life is more a question of munufacture than yellow vs. nickel. I have had excellent life out of Remington brass, nickel or yellow, whereas Federal brass has not worked out so well for me. My best example is 10mm, since it is the only caliber I reload that I shoot a ton of. I buy the UMC 180 grain factory ammo and have used the cases in excess of 15 times. As for rifle, the only round I use literally thousands of is .223 and I have had good luck with Remington brass there too. My .223 loads are hot and cases usually are only good for 5-7 loadings. I found Win. brass cracking after only 2 or 3 loads. I really dislike Norma brass, as it seems to be both thick and brittle. I think Remington has the strongest caseheads.

It's easy to spot liberals-they are the ones who have no assets to protect and need every handout they can get. They have forbeyed themselves ascendence to a productive lifestyle.