In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rifling Rate and Bullet Weight for a SBH?

Bill CostikBill Costik Member Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm starting to get into reloading, and I was wondering what weight bullet a New Model SBH can handle? I realize they can handle a large variety, but I have heard that bullets over 250 grains are inaccurate in these guns. Cabelas has some Cast Performance Bullet company hardcast bullets that I would like to try, but the lowest weight they carry for .44 is 275 grains. Any ideas?

Are these bullets to heavy to push throguh my gun? I would love to try them, but if they are going to be too inaccurate I don't want to waste my money on them.

Comments

• Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cast bullets are pushed slower,..so weight may not play an issue as the cast slug runs at lower pressures. Try a box and see,..that's what I do with all the rifles I load for. If one doesn't work, another type will,..it's all trial and error. I don't really see rifling twist playing anywhere near the role that it does in rifles running MUCH higher velocities and pressures.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?