In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

308 Loads using Sierra 165gn Game King?

ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
Any have a good load for this bullet?

Also curious on how it performs on game. Will be used on pigs.

I have RL-15, Varget, IMR 4064 and 4895 available.

Primers: WLR, Federal Match 210s, and CCIBR2

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ContacFront,

To the best of my knowledge there isn't a Sierra bullet of 165 gr. in a MatchKing configuration.

There is:

165 gr. GameKing #2145 (SBT - spitzer boat tail)

165 gr. GameKing #2140 (HPBT - hollow point boat tail)

168 gr. MatchKing #2200 (HPBT - hollow point boat tail)

I have used the 165 gr. #2145 SBT and it did an O.K. job but I found that the 150 gr. SPT #2130 did far better in the .308 Win. I haven't found the 165-168 gr. Sierras to worth as much as some other brands in this weight range, even the 168 gr. MK is limited in it's accuracy by distance. It is not the long range bullet that some would lead you to believe. Palma shooters use either the 155 gr. Palma for International competition or use one of the heavier BT match bullets for 600 - 1,000 yard competition.

My current hunting bullet, besides the Nosler Partitions, is the North Fork bullets. Performance is excellent.

187699.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Opps,

I am so use to putting down Match King because that is what I normally shoot.

Yes, the 165 GAME KING is what I am trying to work up a load for.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd opt for the 150gr Accubond long before using a soft point pill. I am not a big soft point fan,..I like polycarbonate tips for BC and trueness in flight. These new bonded core bullets with polycarbonate tips are offering what I see to be the best of both worlds now.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used 42 gr. of IMR 4895 for my 165 GameKing but that is out of a 26" barrel. The velocity is a little anemic at cold temps when I usually chonograph them....2550-2600. I've gotten better velocity with Re-15 but since I'm out of the house right now I don't have the load on me.
    I just finished an absolutely wonderful run of Vihtavuori in .257 Rob. and 7mm Mauser. 100 gr. in the .257 went 3100 with good accuracy and unbelievable spread...7 fps. The 7mm was a 120 hornady in front of 47 gr. of N140. (the .257 was 42 gr. of N140). The best accuracy with that was .508 @200 yds. Hope those ideas may work for you. -Good Luck.

We have the second amendment so that all the rest are secure....UNK>
  • Options
    edited November -1
    JustC,

I got the hollow point Game Kings, not the soft point ones. I am not a big fan of the softpoint myself. My current hunting load is with a 180gn Nosler Ballistic Silver Tip. Just got bored so I wanted to work on a new hunting load. Maybe gain some better accuracy with these Game Kings.
  • Options
    BittersweatBittersweat Member Posts: 294 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used the 165gr. hollow point Game King in my .300 Win with great success. My 26 inch barrel spits them out at nearly 3300 fps with super accurcy for a hunting rifle. Both deer and elk have expired as a result of this combination. Good choice, ContacFront.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Whats the load in your 300 win. I have a buddy that wants to try these bullets out in his. Thanks
  • Options
    Ronald J. SnowRonald J. Snow Member Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my Ruger #1 Stainless, 308, I used the following load as suggested by the techs at Sierra:

Sierra .308 dia., 165 spitzer boat tail #2145
    Speer Nitrex nickle plated cases
    CCI 200 primer
    42.5 grains IMR 4064
    Loaded cartridge length 2.83"

This was a very accurate and safe load in my particular load, work up your loads carefully.
  • Options
    BittersweatBittersweat Member Posts: 294 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Contactfront,
    My .300 likes it Hot to get best accuracy out of that 165 Sierra.
    I would suggest starting with 77.0 gr. of Rel 22 over a CCI primer in warm weather. Maybe bring this up a grain at a time until 76 grains or so.

The 'Rocky Mountain Winter' version of this load might look like 2 more grains of powder and a Fed 215 primer. Yes I do bring 2 boxes of ammo when I hunt Elk.

When the weather is COLD, I can shoot 77.0 of Rel 22 over a Fed 215 primer with sub moa results. I believe the fed 215 is a hotter primer and the Rel 22 is a temperature sensitive powder.
    The hottest that I have taken this load is 77.9 gr. Rel 22 over a Fed 215 primer with the 165 Sierra but only below 30 degrees F.
    This combination chrono'd out at 3330fps average of 5 shots, 62 fps total variation out of a 26 inch barrel. Average of 3 groups was 0.65 inches. Smallest group was 0.45 inches.