In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Best .45 Load

KsnipeKsnipe Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
I just bought a box of 200g HP from Berry's MFG. I'm looking for the perfect load using Unique, or preferably Titegroup, and shooting my Colt MKIV Officer's ACP. My goal is to mimic a self-defense round like the Federal Hydroshok, or the new TAP round by Hornady. Any suggestions?

'The scope of a man's character, is measured by how well he shoots his gun...'

Comments

• Options
    ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I load 5.1gn of Titegroup with the 200gn FMJ RN.
  • Options
    PJPJ Member Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Been shooting the same bullet out of a Browning 1885 Low Wall. Use 6 grains of TiteGroup, and it is very acurate.
    Pete

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live"
  • Options
    rimfire72rimfire72 Member Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its not a powder you mentioned,but I load Hornady 200gr XTP/JHPs with 5.0 grains of Bullseye. Winchester brass and primer. Its really accurate in my 45.

buycoolshirts_1825_31216154.jpg
  • Options
    RadCatRadCat Member Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ksnipe
    I just bought a box of 200g HP from Berry's MFG. I'm looking for the perfect load using Unique, or preferably Titegroup, and shooting my Colt MKIV Officer's ACP. My goal is to mimic a self-defense round like the Federal Hydroshok, or the new TAP round by Hornady. Any suggestions?

'The scope of a man's character, is measured by how well he shoots his gun...'

I noticed you are asking for a "self defense" round, not for "target" shooting. I make some excellent target loads with Tite-group, but for defense I prefer Unique. Speer book suggests a (maximum) load of 7.3grains of Unique for you 200 grain bullets for a 984 fps.

Since you are using a "short" barrel 1911 staying with the lighter 200 grain bullets or even going to the 185 grain bullets is advisable.

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am not a speed demon, I load to function and hit what I am shooting at. So, my load is 6.5gr Unique with 200gr hollow points. They are not the fastest but they sure feed nice in every .45 I ever had.